Is my Reciever Good Enough?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daman, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi Guys,
    This is my second posting here.. i have a doubt regarding the fact that is my reciever good enough for my speakers. Here are the specs
    I have Polk RM6700 series speakers - 125 watts RMS each
    Polk PSW303 Sub- 100 Watts,8 inch sub.
    Yamaha HTR5640 Reciever --
    450 watts totalfrequency range of 10 to 100,000Hz,THD within a 20-20,000Hz range @ 75W RMS is 0.06%
    So again is my reciever good enough for my speakers and will i get optimum performance from them with this reciever or should i upgrade to another brand/model. Please suggest me what you think about this.. really need your advise on this one.
    Thanks a ton!
    Daman

2. John S

John S Producer

The Sub is the weakest link, not the AVR to me anyways.

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

im pretty much satisfied with the subs performance.. its the AVR i wanted to ask about? So you feel its ok for the system??

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yes, you're receiver is fine. i also have a yamaha/polk setup - sounds just fine.

think of it this way. if i hooked up a different receiver with reasonably similar specs, and didn't tell you which one i was using ... would you notice a difference?

5. John S

John S Producer

Yes, I feel your current AVR will be fine.

If your subs performance is good, then the AVR should more than enough power for you in your room.

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

hmm probably you are right Ted.. its just that i had this bug in me.. someone recommended that Onkyo and Harmon Kardon were better than Yamaha considerably.. there are 2 models in the same range by both.. here are the specs.. let me know what you think
    Yamaha- 75 watts per channel- 0.06%THD - Dolby/DTS 6.1
    Onkyo- 65 watts per channel- 0.08%THD- Dolby/DTS6.1
    Harmon Kardon- 45 Watts per channel.. dont know THD,Dolby/DTS 5.1 only
    I just have this feeling that i need to get over with and know that the yamaha was a wise choice [​IMG]
    Thanks a ton for replying !!
    Daman

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you're not going through anything different then the rest of us. i promise you just about all of us have had some form of buyers indecision and/or remorse. heck, i bought all my ht gear in december and i'm still wondering "did i do the right thing?" (of course, with the deal i got, i have no complaints at all! [​IMG] )

like i said elsewhere, try not to get hung up on specs. buy the receiver because it fits your needs, is flexible enough, etc. really, most specs are worthless anyway. if you can hear the difference between 10 watts and/or .02%thd, then you're in the wrong business.

the yamaha receiver is a fine receiver. i sell it all day long. i'm not knockin' onkyo or hk (which i've also owned and sold) - they're just as decent. but i can honestly say imho, i feel those three brands are neck-n-neck with eachother.

anyway, take a breather and enjoy your new toy for a while!

of course, let us know if you have any other questions!

[​IMG]

8. Daman

Daman Second Unit

[​IMG] whew.. hehehe you said it just right.. i have already upgraded the system thrice in 3 months..and i hope i have got it right this time. Just to share it.. earlier bought a hometheater in box from yamaha-didnot like it- bought polk rm6005 series with htr 5640, was good,when heard rm6700, the rm6005 sounded small so upgraded the speakers [​IMG] and when finally i thought i had it all right, some comes and talks about the AVR [​IMG] so i had to ask it here.. thanks for clearing the doubts and cheers to polk and yamaha and all of you who helped me out!
    Daman
    PS: what set of speakers and AVR of polk and yamaha do you have Ted?

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have older polk rt (i think?) series. i bought them about six years ago (also at a discount while working at cc). my receiver is the 5590

one more thing i thought of. if anything, speakers will have more impact on how your gear sounds anyway.

now pop in those demo cd's and enjoy! [​IMG]

10. Ken Janisse

Ken Janisse Extra

Daman,

As Ted said very well, you are not alone in questioning your purchase. I have a Yamaha RX-V3200 and have been looking closely at the new RX-V2400. But then I said to myself "why do I need to upgrade?"

I am very happy with my Yammie and until there is some major change (new surround format etc) that forces me to upgrade, I am simply going to enjoy what I have. I have very decent sound when watching movies and that's all that matters to me.

My advice? Sit back and enjoy your stuff. There is always going to be pressure to upgrade or question your decisions. Based on your setup, I'd say you've got it made!

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I just went from a HK225 (NAD 902 driving a Solobaric (crappy) 10" in a custom enclosure to a ONkyo 898 with preouts (where I'm able to drive the mains with a NAD 914 (bypassing the preamp) and the diffence is simply amazing!

But your sit isn't the same.

Speakers in my rig

SoundDynamics 300TIs (mains)
    SoundDynamics SS1Bs (sourround back)
    Sony CS5500 (center)
    RCA C550 (Sourround fronts)

I know that part of this is due to the 914 (which drives the 300s wonderfully)-(and will be going to a shiva 12" for sub soon) but it's like a blanket has been pulled off the rig [​IMG]

good luck

rogo

12. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Ken [​IMG] and Rogozhin too.. well all of you did help in making up my mind.. no upgrades as of now and ill sit back and enjoy my new toy as Ted said!!
    Cheers!!
    Daman

13. John S

John S Producer

Yes, it is definetly time, you sat back and enjoy your syste, for a while. Only after a fair amount of use as it is now, will you truly start to make judgments on any part of the system needing upgraded or not anyways.

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Those numbers are relatively insignificant. I would bet money that the H/K would be able to keep up with the Yamaha...easily. I'm assuming you refer to the AVR130 there, and so stepping up to the 230 gives you 6.1 along with all its associated modes, and 7.1ch preouts (and a bit more power).

Although, if by Burlington you mean you're in Canada (Ontario specifically), that's a fine setup. H/Ks here aren't worth the money. If you like the sound, that's all that matters. You'll listen more to it than read the spec sheet (I assume).

15. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hey Drew.. no the Burlington im in is near Boston,US.. Yammie it is for me till the time i get the bug to upgrade again.. my friend who has a similar setup will be buying the harmon kardon and we can run the same dvd/music cd over both of them to compare,will let you know.
    Cheers!!
    Daman