Is my reciever finished?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rob kilbride, Nov 28, 2002.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I have an old Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic receiver and after a few days of hearing crackle and pops in my right speaker, it now is completely distorted. By trouble shooting I determined the wire and both speakers are fine and since the problem occurs the same way with whatever source (cd,dvd,tuner) It must not be a problem with any of my other components. I also defeated my equalizer which would indicate it is not the problem either. So is my receiver dead or does anyone have any ideas how I might rectify this problem? I doubt I'll take it in for repairs since any money I'd spend would be better spent on a new receiver with DD and DTS.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I had a similar problem with my first Dolby 5.1 receiver when the left channel started to cut in and out. A short time later it completely died. Some experimentation told me that it wasn't completely dead after all. I get no sound thru that channel when using any of the analogue inputs but it works just fine when I use the CD player via optical cable. Your receiver may be dead but don't give up on it till you experiment with some different settings. If you get lucky like I did there might be some life left in it.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

First, check your wires and make sure there's no short or anything like that. Try switching the speakers to confirm things. Switch the wires just to dbl check. Open the receiver up (disconnected from the wall!!!) and examine the leads going to the speaker outputs. could have a cold solder problem. tap gently with a soft object. check any and all internal fuses. see if anything inside looks wrong...stuff oozing, burned looking areas, etc. find a place that does free estimates along with diagonsis.
    trash it?

4. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I already tried with different speakers and wires. Everything worked fine on left side and everything was horribly distorted on the right. There are also inputs for two more stereo speakers that can be used by pressing the B button and defeating the A button. Still the same result so it would seem to indicate that the problem is further back. I took the player apart but could not see any obvious problems. I guess I better start saving my money. Damn I'm gonna be bummed until I can replace it! 5000 cd's and 300 dvd's and I can't play any of them properly! Guess who's not very good at budgeting their money!

5. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i'd open up the reciver and check the components inside the chanel being distorted makes me thing thatr there is a blown transistor or simething inside thats not working or filtering how it should .... my reciver the "b" left chanel dident work and i had thought it was blown but i took the reciver appart and found that the lead from the positive binding poast was broken off of the amp board, nothing a steady hand some wire and soldering iron cant fix. well if you feel confident pull it appart and see if its something you can fix easy do be carefull its known to acidently pull wires out hmm ahh i dont know if i helped you in any way .. sorry if i went off subject ... i know my way around stuff like that so if its an internal problem ask and i can try to give a better solution ....