Is my receiver killing my center channel(s)?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 2, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I had an older Cerwin Vega center channel and it worked fine up until the last couple months. Now whenever I play something there is this really anoying "dead air" sound that makes it almost unusable. The sound is hard to explain, but it drives my crazy and it happens at any volume. Well the a couple months ago I picked up 4 Mini Monitors along with a CC-370. I've been using the CC-370 for about a month (it was actually given to me on Christmas) and I've noticed that it sounds somewhat harsh. At first I thought it was just the movie soundtracks themselves, but I don't think it is. When dialogue is being spoken some of it can sound a little distorted and crackley. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is pretty consistent. Last night I was watching the movie Aliens and I noticed it happened a fair amount. So today I put a section of the DVD where it distorts on repeat and I hooked up each of the 4 Mini Monitors up to the center channel's speaker wire and there was no distortion that I could hear. But when I hooked it up to the CC-370 you could hear the distortion clearly. I showed this to a couple members of my family and they noticed the distortion on the CC-370 also. I hadn't been running CC-370 very hard either, in fact I tend to baby it. Just to let you know I have calibrated my home theater with a SPL meter and a Avia test disc and I do have a surge protector also. I can't figure out what the problem is. Does anybody have any advice? Is this just a coincidence or is it my equipment or what?

james

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Chances are that it is not your speakers but mastering of the discs.. This has been discussed on several forums in the past..

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Run music through the center channel. If you can, run it through one speaker at a time (you can accomplish this with the balance control and swapping speakers in and out.

You should be able to narrow down the problem.

It's a possibility that it's your receiver.

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

A couple of things to check...

What is the impedance of the Paradigms vs. what your receiver is rated for? If the Paradigms are 4 ohms, but the receiver is rated for 8 ohms, you may be asking your reciver to deliver more current than it's capable of doing. That could cause the amp to clip.

Also check if your receiver has settings for adjusting the relative volume level of each channel. When you swapped out your speakers, you should have completely recalibrated your sound levels with an SPL meter to assure equal volume from every channel. It is possible that you have the center volume cranked up too high relative to other channels.

There are some DVDs with distorted soundtracks (the original Fifth Element DVD being one). If you're experiencing the problem on several movies, rather than just a specific one (or few), the problem is likely with your receiver or the way it's configured.

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I checked the impediance of the speakers, they are 8 ohms and the receiver is set to 8 also. I didn't recalibrate my theater because actually the drivers and the tweeter on the Mini Monitor and the CC-370 are the same, so I thought I wouldn't have too. Thanks for the advice. I guess the question I'm asking is, is it possible that my receiver (or something else?) could be doing damage to my center channel? Is it possible for my equipment to ruin my speakers?

james

6. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

This could actually be your tweater or speaker cross-over. I had this happen on my Paradigm Ref. CC. Very easy to fix (my dealer fixed this while I waited). To Confirm that it's your speaker and not you equipment, try this test.

You mentioned you have AVIA, so bring up the Speaker levels test and play the tone through your centre speaker. Bring the volume up to 70 to 80db. If you tweater/cross-over is bad, you will hear crackling in the tone. To confirm this, hook up your main to your centre channel and repeat test, if the same crackling, try one more test.

If you are not hearing crackling through your mains with this test, hook up your centre to either your left or right main. Run the test again. If crackling with the centre and not main, you know it's your centre.

I should also mention that the speaker is revealing. More recording than not are recorded badly. I've noticed this in many DVD sound tracks and music CDs.

The above test if nothing else, will make you feel better about your set-up that nothing is wrong.

Cheers!

Mass

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

8. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Correct. If you ran the center channel information through the minis and it did not distort, logically it can't possibly be anything other than a problem with the center. Take it in.