What's new

Is my receiver good enough for DIY? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
I have read that many DIY speakers are accurate and "will reveal any weaknesses in your system." I have a Yamaha RX-V 620. Do you consider this a significant weakness? If it is are there any kits that would subdue the flaws or should I buy off-the-rack speakers that will definitely sound good?

Gracias,

Chris

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hello chris,

welcome to the HTF.

Do you consider this a significant weakness?
hmmm, no. im having a hard time finding anything wrong with the 620 myself. sure, its not top of the line yamaha, but its still a nice unit. what is it you think is weak about it?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I got the 620 and I'm running GR AV1's and Dennis Murphy MB1's and they sound superb. Yamaha makes great units and will power most any DIY design nicely.

Sure seperate amps will probably sound better but I'm not ready to shell out $1000 on an amp just yet so my receiver will have to do for now and it does very well!

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Rosz,

I love this receiver, but with the DIY kits I'm looking at being compaered favorably with speakers in the $2k range I was concerned that it would "become" a weakness.

Mr. Lam,

Just what I wanted to hear. The GR line is one that I am very interested in.

The Jeffs,

Thank you both for your responses. You have dispelled some trepidation and I am now ready to jump into DIY! I just hope there's a lifeguard on duty.

Chris

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

If you happen to have any questions concerning the GR AV-1's or AV-1+'s I'd be more than happy to help. The AV-1's are a piece of cake (I've built about 8 cabinets so far) and I just finished 3 AV-1+ cabinets this weekend.

Brian

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks!

How would you describe their sound? Is there a speaker out that you would identify as similar that I could demo?

Chris 8o)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ummm, that's a tough one. I don't know many of the mass market speakers out there these days. I'm fairly familiar with the PSB line and think you'd have to pony up for a pair of Stratus Mini's to get the same quality.

I'd say they are very smooth and detailed without being bright. The midrange is a bit more forward than my ACI Emeralds and has better soundstaging and imagining. I get more "presence" with the AV-1's as well. The vocalist just seems to be in the room with me.

I really cranked them yesterday watching TPM and didn't notice them straining at all, so I think they can take quite a bit of power as well.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, maybe not! I'll have to find the time. Also, my wife is home most evenings when I get there so I usually can't take over the whole setup for an hour or so. Maybe next week. I'll beat her home next Monday!

Speaking of home...I'm outta here!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks