Is my receiver dying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Wheatley, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Bill Wheatley

I have the Yamaha 995 receiver which I've had since they first hit the market. Usually when I turn it on there would be a loud click. Then I noticed that the click started happening a few seconds after the power came on and wasn't as loud.

Now, it's a struggle just to get it to come on. I will turn it on and it will shut right back off. After a few tries it will eventually come on. Once it's on it works as well as it ever did. So basically, I just don't turn it off anymore.

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had a similar problem?

What type of turn around might I expect if I take it in for repair? And any info on repair costs would be helpful also.

I have no experience with having my HT stuff repaired. In the past if something broke I just used it as an excuse to upgrade. However, I must say that I am totally satisfied with the 995 and have no desire to get something else. Not to mention I don't really want to drop down the cash right now.

Thanks for the info...

-Bill

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

The click you hear when you power up the 995 is the power relay. The power relay is simply an electro magnetic switch. When you apply power to the main switch or power on by the remote, a low powered circuit energizes a small electro magnet that pulls down a set of contacts and in turn powers up the unit. The click you hear is the contacts snaping together. In order to pull down the contacts and apply power to the main circuits the coil has to muster up enough of a magnetic field to over come the tension on the swicth itself, which is held normaly open by a small spring. There are usualy two reasons why the relay contacts fail to stay closed. 1 the contacts are worn and the gap between the two is too great for the relay coil to overcome. 2 the coil in the relay is weak. Just a guess ofcourse [​IMG]