What's new

Is my Receiver dying? (1 Viewer)

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Currently having multiple problems with my receiver and I am trying to figure out if it is dying.

First off for the past several months I have been having problems while I am watching something (be it via optical audio for the DVD player or composite cables from the TiVo) the audio will drop and I will have to pause the DVD or change the channel (TiVo) and one time I had to turn it OFF and back on and the audio will 'pop' back in. Lately it has been happening more often.

Also about 6 months ago when I bought my first HDTV I was hooking up my receiver (had the receiver for about 4 years) and found that one set of composite inputs did not work (luckily I was able to use the front set of inputs and had enough to hook all my stuff up). The Onkyo Receiver I have came with a 5.1 HT in a Box kit I purchased (speakers/receiver/sub) supports Dolby Digital/ProLogic/DTS and has 4 composite inputs, 2 sets for stereo gear (know for sure 1 set works lol), and 2 optical audio inputs (know for sure both work via Xbox and DVD player lol).

Now this morning I sit down to watch a movie and it won't switch to DTS (or dolby digital for that matter). I select optical 1 (dvd player) set the DVD to output DTS hit the 'surround sound' button on my player and it doesn't switch its still on stereo(tried on the remote and directly on the receiver). I checked to make sure my DVD player itself was sending digital and not 2 channel and it is so thats not the problem.

Any ideas guys? 100% user error or 50% / 50 % ? I didn't expect $10,000 quality but I would have thought that even a cheaper Onkyo HTIAB would of lasted longer than this. Sadly I do not have an extended warranty as it was a gift.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

Well when all else fails read the book. Guess someone else here watching a movie must of hit the wrong switch but both speaker option 'a' and 'b' were selected which on this receiver doesn't let you change settings. I turned B off checked all of my settings and half of my speaker vol levels were at 0 set them back to what I had them at and I can now switch between stereo/dolby/DTS. Sounds right etc.. Doesn't answer why 1 set of composite in's doesn't work and why I still get audio drops sometimes but atleast now I can watch in DTS/Dolby and not locked into stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks