Is my receiver defective?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Brown, Oct 12, 2002.

1. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Ive had my setup for a few months now and Ive used my complete surround system everyday since. Im pretty sure Ive gone thru the break in period and now have a problem.
    From the beginning Ive been told to get the calibration disc and SPl meter but havent only because I've been content with the way I had everything set. I will be getting it soon... [​IMG]
    my problem is this. Ive just noticed that my Left Main and Left Surround sound are a significant level lower than the rest. Ive checked all the connections and even switched the speakers and wires around and still have a lower volume on the Left Side. to fix this Ive set the both main and surround to apprx +8. Ive noticed this with the speakers in my hand, not mounted, no walls to cause any interference.
    Any thoughts?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Are your right main and right suround speakers bordering a wall, and are you left main and left surround speakers out in the open? If so, the wall bordering the right speakers is re-inforcing (boosting) their signal. Dumb question but is the balance in the centre of it's adjustment? :b

3. James Brown

I actually had the speakers in my hand switching back and forth between connections.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

in your hand?!?! ....what?

5. JoshuaR

JoshuaR Agent

I believe he means he was holding the speakers in front of himself and the right channels were significantly stronger than the left. So there would be no objects to interfere with "boosting" the levels.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Strange that there would be nothing on the receiver to adjust balance, even if there is no dial, there surely should be some adjustment on the remote for this. No?

7. James Brown

I have a Denon 1802. The only adjustments that I can make are for each channel. No "fader" or "balance" on this.

Thanks Joshua for clarifying that for me.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you boosted the left channels +8 to compensate? regardless of calibration...a +8 boost is huge. something is definitely not right. did you check that you don't have the right channels decreased? i'll assume if you set all channels to 0, then you're left is still blaringly louder?

9. James Brown

It turns out that the only time I had this problem was when I was listening to the radio/tuner. Probably not geting a good signal. With all the other sources, everything seems to be okay. Stupid mistake... Sorry. Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]