What's new

Is my receiver broken? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I just wanted to check here before I start bothering the warranty people. I have a Marantz 6200 receiver that was purchased refurbished. I have been using it for awhile at my apartment at school. I just have 2 speakers so I was just using stereo to listen to music, movies, etc. The right channel seemed slightly more quiet than the left, but I figured it was probably just the way the room was or something. I turned the right channel one decibel louder than the left and that seemed alright.

Now I've got it home and I'm trying to use 6 speakers with it. I was using the test tones with the receiver just to make sure that all of the speakers are hooked up correctly/to the correct inputs. The front right speaker didn't make any noise. I tried switching the speakers around so I know it's the receivers front right channel. Then I turned the front right channel up 15 db (as high as I could) and I could barely hear both music and the test tone. Is my receiver broken or am I just missing something? The warranty is for a year and it lasts until June 16th so I want to get this taken care of quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Johnathan,
What are you using as a source of test tones, a signal generator? An off-the-shelf calibration disc? Some tones you burned on a CD-ROM? Obviously, you need to make sure that you are feeding signals to both right and left channels. Probably the easiest way to do this is to tune a strong FM station. Set the receiver on "stereo" or "bypass" or "2-channel" mode (not one of the surround modes). You should get right and left channel output. If not, there's not much that can be wrong except the receiver, assuming the speakers are hooked up correctly.

If the receiver has a headphone jack, it's always a good and simple test to plug in some "cans" and see if you have both channels.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Contact Marantz. If it's under warranty, have the experts tinker around with it. It won't cost you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks