Is my RCA DVD player the culprit here?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Justin Ward, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Before when I had my old GE 20" TV hooked up to my RCA 5240P DVD through an RF modulator the picture was awful. Well, know that I upgraded the TV to a 24" Toshiba flatscreen with 16:9 compression the picture quality is immeasurably better.

However, I have having some problems with video artifacts. I have my player hooked up the TV with a RadioShack evolution component video cable. In general the picture is very impressive, sharp and detailed. But in many scenes with brown/grey solid colors or surfaces I get awful results. It looks like a combination of macroblocking and film grain. At first I thought it was the discs but I get the same results on some DVDs that have very respectable transfers (LOTR:FOTR EE, AOTC, Fight Club, Black Hawk Down etc...) so I'm sure these can't be compression artifacts because they are very obvious and I've never heard these problems mentioned before. I used to get these artifacts on the old TV too but didn't think much of it, now they are worse than before. I get similar results through the composite and s-video outputs as well.

So essentially I only have the DVD player left as a source of these aritfacts. Has anyone else heard of RCA DVD players imposing artifacts on the image?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah those cheap RCAs are pretty poor quality. Try a JVC or Panasonic.

3. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

RadioShack component cable might be the culprit and RF cable in general will always look worse.

Get a dvd player where you can test it and take it back to see if the problem still exists.

Jason

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Have you tried calibrating your TV? That might help reduce some of those. But the RCA DVD player is never going to give you a perfect picture.

5. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Sure have. After I had the TV for a few hours I popped in my Sound and Vision calibration disc and set it up to my best ability. The image in general is very nice, its just certain colors and patterns that seem to be affected.

I'll probably just replace the player, because these artifacts are just too much and its been having some troubles with some of my DVDs lately. I have a $40 canadian gift certificate at Wal-Mart so could you guys recommend an acceptable player I could buy there? Plus that way I shouldn't have trouble returning it if troubles show up.