Is my player dying?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KevinMB, Mar 24, 2004.

1. KevinMB

KevinMB Extra

My older player (a Panasonic DVD-A110) was retired to my bedroom a couple months back because sometimes using forward or backward commands would cause the audio and video to screw up. Well now it seems to have gotten worse. I tried playing the Godfather last week and near the end, the screen got very pixelated and was freezing. Weird... Today, I tried watching Party Monster and about an hour into it, the samething happens. A friend suggest I buy a laser-cleaner and that may help, but to me, that seems like it wouldn't do any good since the movie plays fine for awhile then craps out on me. Does anyone have any clue what the problem could be and if it can be fixed? or is my DVD player on it's deathbed?

2. Scott.J

Scott.J Extra

Mine used to do that too. It was wierd because it only did it at the end. I just gave in and got another one. Good luck

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Clean the DVD surface carefully especially near the outer edge - thats the end of the movie. Look closely for scratches too.

4. KevinMB

KevinMB Extra

I don't think it's the DVDs. I cleaned the Godfather and still had trouble... so I popped it into my Phillips and it worked fine. same for party monster

5. Jason D.

Jason D. Agent

I had two Sony DVD players that did the same thing, and actually my latest one (almost 2 years old) has done it once or twice. It also only would do it at certain (usually late in the movie) spots. I think MY problem was heat generated from both the DVD player and the receiver which is below it (on a different shelf, but only about 3" below). I installed a Radio Shack fan unit in the back of the entertainment center, and have had better luck since (like I said this one is almost 2 years old). I went through the first DVD player in 6 months and the second in about 8. I am leaning toward a Denon for my next player.

Next time your player starts acting up, check it for heat. Good luck!

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Using that 'cleaning' DVD (with small brushes) isn't such a bad idea. Some dust may have gathered on your laser sensor, not bad enough for most of the DVD surface, but just too much for the difficult ends.

Another (worse) possibility is a slight misalignement of the laser head over time. Nothing you can do about that yourself, though.

Cees