Is my Pioneer DV-45A defective?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I read a review in the December Sound and Vision that says the DV-45A is supposed to offer bass management for DVD-Audio and SACD. I have calibrated my system using Avia and ensured that the subs are working at the correct level. I've got two HSU TN1220HO subs being driven by a 1000 watt pro audio amp. All speakers are set to small, subwoofer on. When playing DVD-Audio multi channel disks with no .1 channel, the subwoofers are absolutely silent. To test, I shut off the mains and just listened to the sub...no sound whatsoever. What I have been unable to determine is if this is the way this player is supposed to perform or if I have a defective unit. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You might want to check out:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=115080
    With Avia, the LFE level will be 10 dB too low. It could be possible that there isn't enough LFE content to turn on your subs (amps)? If that's not the case, you should be getting *something*. [​IMG]

3. Tony Genovese

My sub amp is not level activated. It's a pro amp that is putting out juice all the time, so that's not the problem. In addition, I have jacked up the volume to 10db above reference with all the other speakers off and my subs are silent. With proper bass management, shouldn't they be reproducing everything below 100hz? They aren't reproducing anything.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Tony- I saw your other thread too. 1) I wonder if the 47ai has the same problem. 2) I like Pioneer, but if they are advertising "complete bass management" for SACD/DVD-A, and these players don't have it, that's kind of like false advertising.
    Luckily [​IMG], I have an Outlaw 950, and use its analog bass management.

5. Tony Genovese

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well that was the 47a, I don't know if anything changed in terms of BM with the 47ai though. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think I have a way of testing for this with the 47ai, so I'll post wwhat I find.
    Kind of funny in a way, because if the Pioneer players *don't* do BM correctly, then neither do the Onkyo/Integra/Marantz players either... [​IMG]

7. Tony Genovese