What's new

Is my Pioneer 6.1 ready for REAL 7.1 when it arrives? (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Ok -- I have a question. I just bought the Pioneer VSX-515-K (you can see the exact specs here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...etailComponent). It's advertised as 6.1 on the box. But many times in the manual it mentiones how to set it up for 7.1. It also has 2 (two) seperate jacks for L and R BACK surrounds (centers) in addition to the traditional L and R rear. That is the 7.1 layout as far as i know.... Now this also has the Pro-Logic IIx. So does that mean it will support 7.1 when it's available (that is, independant L and R back surrounds?). Doesn't pro-Logic always mean simulated? Or am I wrong... I am just curious, because as I mentioned, i bought this for 6.1, but between the hook-ups and the manual, it makes it seem like it is capable of handling 7.1 when it comes to DVD....

Thanks,

Matt!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There probably never will be a true 7.1. Your receiver is ready though. You will need an external amp to do it however.

IIx is simulated, but it is intended to create a more separate sound for each side of the rear channels, as opposed to them playing exactly the same thing in a current "normal" 7.1 setup.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A few points.

Pioneer's page for the 515k

Dolby Prologic II expands stereo signals to 5.1 channels. DPL IIx expands this technique to encompass 6.1 and 7.1 channels. It also expands 5.1 signals to 6.1 or 7.1, using algorithms similar in spirit to the THX-EX/Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES programs of old.

It has a set of binding posts for the extra rear surround. The fact that Pioneer only hypes 6 channels may be a (very strange) marketing ploy-- ">100 watts of power across our entire line". It may be somewhat weaker with the seventh channel enabled.

Finally, the back panel looks like a real mess-- hook up a dvd-a player, and you've got cables snaking every which way. (The R/L cables go one place, the C/Lfe/Rs/Ls in quite another, and the Y/Cr/Cb in yet another)

On the other hand, one buys these things for aureal, rather than visual aesthetics.

I have no idea what wma9 pro is, nor do I much care, but apparently it has a 7.1 capability.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

It's a Windows Media File CODEC that's built into the receiver. I haven't really played too much with WMA files, but I suspect quite similar to MP3 files - compressed and with sound comprimises. No thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Of OLD? These are the latest formats on the consumer market. (THX is not a format though).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

The 515 has a single pre-out jack: SUB WOOFER Pre-Out. Full 7.1 PreOuts are , however available on the VSX-815. (The pioneer website has large images of the various back panels)

Hmm. The back panel image for the 515 shows 7 pairs of binding posts. The quartet labeled "Surround Back, L&R" contains this warning
"SINGLE -- See Instruction Manual". I'm almost tempted to register at the Pioneer website, but not quite..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't take a look at the back panel. "Single" would likely indicate they are a single channel, or internally wired series or parallel and/or impedance matched, meaning it would not be a good idea to try to drive two moderately current hungry speakers via these outputs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
DTS-ES description (my emphasis):

Matrixed formats are "messier" i.e. less accurate than a format that uses an entirely separate data stream for the additional channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks