What's new

Is My Onkyo TX-SR600 Underpowered? (1 Viewer)

Luke*Ho

Grip
Just got my new Onkyo 6.1 receiver as part of my new HT system. I have all new NHT speakers on order. I am using new 14ga Dayton speaker wire. To test the receiver, last night I hooked up my 17yr old ADS mains, 10yr old Infinity center and very low grade garbage radio shack 35W in the rears. As I turned up the volume, (75 digital read-out on the volume) the receiver went into protect mode and kicked off line. This was in a 5.1 surround mode. The music was loud, but not ear drum breaking loud. I repeated this several times in different surround modes and swapped optical to coax cable, same thing. When I went into 2ch mode using the front main speakers only, the receiver did NOT kick off. I got the volume up to over 80 and backed off when the speakers began to distort. I also have the rear speakers on very long length of speaker wire as I haven't cut it to their final length yet. My questions:
1. Am I doing anything wrong? 2. Are my cheap rear speakers the problem? 3. Does the length of speaker wire have any impact on the pwr requirement of the receiver? 4. Are digital readings of 70-80 normal on these new receivers? Thanks to anyone and everyone who can give me any insight into this problem.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Luke, you are certainly braver than I with how high you are willing to turn up the gain. I don't ever want to go into protection mode even once!

One key here is the efficiency of your speakers. A speaker rated 92 db efficiency will sound twice as loud as one rated 89 db. Check out the specs on the speakers you ordered vs. what you have presently.

Luke*Ho

Grip
Rick and Matt. Thanks for your help. All speakers are 8 ohms. Does it matter what I set the speakers to; small or large? How about the length of the wire? Does that matter? I believe the impediance of my new NHTs is

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Check the speaker wires on the binding posts. Make sure no strands of wire are touching adjacent posts. I have this receiver and I can turn mine up to 90 with no problems (other than it's too loud). I've never had the protection kick in.

Luke*Ho

Grip
Greg, Thanks, I'll do that. Do you set your speakers on small or large? Can you help inform me on the difference between small and large? Thanks, Luke

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Luke, the general opinion is to set your speakers to small when using a sub. That way your receiver and main speakers are relieved of trying to output low bass that requires lots of amplifier power.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I am convinced that a lot of companies rely on the use of a sub when all 5 channels are engaged. If you cross over the speakers at 80Hz, you are taking a TREMENDOUS load off of the amplifiers. Something like 75% of an amplifier's output is used to drive the low end.
When I use my Onkyo 575X in 5 channel mode with the speakers set to 'large', it will crap out after 30 seconds or so of very loud soundtracks.
ADS speakers were never a difficult load to drive, and I doubt that your RS rears are at fault. Getting a sub and setting the speakers to 'small' will almost definitely solve the problem.
This is not unique to Onkyo, either. A friend has a Denon that does the same thing.
I'm buying an NAD T752 today; I'll bet that it will not have this problem. But then again, since I'm using a sub, I'll never really know...
Which ADS, by the way? I've had 810's, 310's, 710's. I wish they still made speakers like those. I sold a pair to a friend, and I still love their sound. I also never should have sold them...

Luke*Ho

Grip
James, that makes good sense and is a sigh of relief. In addition to my NHTs, I bought a new HSU VTF-2 subwoofer which should be here the end of the week. Hopefully it will take alot of the load off the receiver. Ref the ADS, the models I have are the 701s. I have had them for 17 years and really like them. Just a two months ago, I took my 23yr old ADSs to the curb side. The woofers were all rotted out. It was an emotional moment, my first big stereo speaker purchase so many years ago. I am however, very excited about my new NHTs and subwoofer. Can't wait to get everything hooked up and running! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks