Is My Neighbor Totoro only available in P&S?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Moran, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

With the recent releases of Miyazaki's films, I thought I would check out what others were available and was surprised that this one was out but only in Pan & Scan, and by FOX no less. Is this the only version available on DVD in the States? or is there a Region 0 widescreen version somewhere? Also has anyone heard a release date for Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (or the crap version Warriors of the Wind)?

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Yes, this is the only version on DVD. Of course, it's the old Streamline Pictures dub, so when Disney does their version, the Fox disc will be replaced by Disney's, and you'll be able to get it in OAR and OSL.

On the subject of Nausicaa, I can guess that we won't be seeing this on DVD until Disney decides to do their dub of it. I do know that we'll never be seeing Warriors of the Wind on shelves again...[​IMG]

3. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

The US version of 'My Neighbour Totoro' is 4:3 only and includes just the English dubbed sountrack. The Japanese region 2 edition is 16x9 and features both English and Japanese language choices. It also features a second disc of extras, the entire storyboards to the movie and a couple of short documentaries ( which are Japanese only but there's lots of nice artwork to look at ). If you're region free capable then I'd recommend either this or the region 3 Hong Kong edition. The only downside is that the English subtitles are based on the dubbed dialogue rather than the original script.
    There are several region 0 editions of Totoro available, but they're just low quality bootlegs and are best avoided.

4. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Yeah I'll stay away from the bootlegs. Do you guys think the Fox version is worth picking up or should I just wait?

5. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Anyone know if Disney is redoing the dub on Totoro or using the streamline one?

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I assume that Disney will make their own dub next year, when the rights go to them.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Nausicaa will be coming out in Japan this fall from the looks of things. Therefore I would expect a US release around Summer 2004, maybe a bit longer depending on how their release schedual pans out

9. HowieG

HowieG Extra

Well, I'm afraid for "My Neighbor Totoro".

While I detest P&S I still bought the DVD because I wanted Totoro on that format AND because I'm in love with Steamlines english dub (also I think I paid like $10 for this masterpiece).

Even though Troma/Fox didn't do us any favors with their mono dub, the voice actors did such a good job that I can't imagine any other voices doing the roles (some may disagree, but then some hate dubs anyway so where does that lead us).

I do hope that Disney can incorporate the original voice track into a shiny new 5.1 remix for this great work. We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, I (for one) feel Totoro looks stunning on DVD currently (although someone here will probably say it's full of edge enhancement or something, it doesn't on my setup).

At least check it out (for free) at the library for yourself...

10. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit