Is my monitor flaking on me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I have a 19" monitor at work (Toshiba - no telling what's the real maker of it), and I leave it on all day/night, but it goes into sleep mode at night, and when I start up inthe morning, the monitor comes to life and looks really nice and sharp, but as I continue to "work", the left side of the monitor becomes fuzzy and looses focus. This pattern repeats itself every day during the week. Is this monitor screwed up, or is ther anything I can do to fix it without sending it in for repair?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Try degaussing the monitor. If that helps, maybe you have a magnetic field present near the monitor.
    Otherwise, maybe it's time for an upgrade! [​IMG]

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I had this same problem with a monitor at work (21" Viewsonic) and it had to do with setting my phone next to the monitor. Do you have anything near your Monitor? Like PC speakers? Etc? Try moving everything away from it, and degaussing it, and maybe giving it a good smack.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Sonuvagun! I do have my Lucent phone next to my monitor! I'll try moving it away and hoping for regain my monitor's crispness! Thanks for the suggestion!
    A few hours later: but it didn't quite fix the problem. [​IMG]

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Your monitor could be permanantly F'd then [​IMG] Did you try degaussing it after you smacked it? The magnets in the phone can pull particles towards the edges of the CRT tubes. You should turn off the monitor, give it a NICE smack on the side which has the dimming, and OH! If you have flourescent lighting, set your refresh rate to SIXTYhz that's 60hz, because that is the speed at which flourescent lights refresh, anything else will look just WACKY.

6. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Are you displaying a bright , intense , static image by any chance ? The heat generated on the screen can distort the shadow mask (that't why Sonys have those annoying wires to stabilize the mask). Try turning down contrast and brightness (temporarily if necessary) before the effects occur to see if the symptoms are reduced or delayed.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Welp, I tried messing with the temp settings, and also backed down onthe contrast and brightness.

The nice sharp image I get at the start of the day will last only 12 minutes before settling back into its fuzziness on the left hand side. If I back down on the contrast/brightness, the monitor's useless (too dark), so I may just have a lemon here. Ugh.

Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like an "Office Space" monitor bashing moment coming on...

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter