Is my LCD TV broken, normal, or just plain bad?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jared.W, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Jared.W

Jared.W Auditioning

Mar 1, 2006
    This is my first LCD TV, and it's driving me insane. Please bare me with, and please, I beg of you, help me. [​IMG]

I was looking for a 15 inch LCD for my kitchen, and I decided on the Philips 15PF5120/28 (sometimes called 15PF5120). It is the perfect size (with speakers on the bottom) and also happens to be HD-ready. Perfect!

It finally came yesterday, and the picture quality is... fuzzy. Everything sort of has this fuzz around it. A combination of fuzzy and grainy is the best way I can describe it.

For the record, this is without being connected to an HD cable box. I didn't get it yet, so all I tested the TV with is regular digital cable (using RCA cables) and a DVD player (using component cables).

The picture quality each time remains fuzzy and grainy no matter what connection I use or settings I change. Being completely new to LCD, I have no idea if this is normal or not. Maybe the quality is so improved over my old CRT TV that I can see the "bad" more clearly?

I figured this could MAYBE make sense with the digital cable, but not with a DVD, right? My CRT TV plays a DVD with a much clearer picture than this LCD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but under no circumstances should this (or any) brand new LCD TV play a DVD with any kind of fuzzy picture, right?

Is this specific TV just... broken? Is there just something wrong with it? Or maybe it's all models of this TV that has this quality? Or... it's normal? I can't see how, but I'm too much of a newbie to know for sure.

Can someone please help me out here. I've been reading every forum/site that exists all day. I need to know if this is just how a 15 inch LCD should be, if it's a fluke and I should just exchange it for another of the same model, or if I should start looking for a different TV altogether.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino

Well, that isn't surprising. CRT, either projection or direct-view, is over all a better display technology, so an SD source on an SD CRT should look better than an SD source on an LCD digital display. What I have found on both an LCoS rear projection and two LCD HD sets is that the digital sets all show more of an SD signals flaws and the the SD signal is even more prone to bad adjustments on the set than the HD channels are. My SD channels look precisely "fuzzy and grainy" on all three of my HD sets until I calibrated them with Digital Video Essentials - as did my SD DVDs. The major culprit was the sharpness control. Once after calibrating my LCoS RPTV I accidently switched it off my calibrated settings to one of the presets and the picture went to hell again. I manually adjusted the picture, fixing the sharprness first, and immediately saw a major improvment. Then I noticed I was on the wrong picture quality option entirely and went back to my fully dialed-in configuration.

I'd certainly try calibrating the thing with a good test pattern disc (not just by eye) before making a final decision.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Is there a thin protective peel off plastic film over the screen?

Does the TV have a jack that allows you to connect your computer? If so try this to compare how the computer displays video on the LCD TV versus your on the regular computer monitor.

A 15 inch (LCD) screen is not so large as to make the imperfections of regular TV shows look that bad.

Video hints:
  4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Oct 27, 1999
    Check your connections and make sure everything is connected correctly. PQ on a LCD from a dvd player should be better than the CRT.. Also found this on Philiphs website.