Is my in-laws tube going bad?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob White, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Hey Folks,

I'm at my in-laws and they have an RCA tube set (probably 12-15 years old) and ONE cable channel doesn't show any color. When I hook a different tv up everything's cool. Also, other sets in the house DON'T have the same issue. Cable company's been to the house and says it's an issue with the tv.

When I unplug and replug the coaxial cable, the channel shows color briefly (if I change channels and come back, the channel's black and white again).

So, they have color in all but one channel.

Questions:
    1) Is this what happens as an old tube goes bad?
    2) Is there anything that I can do about it (maybe some master reset button or something that I can't find in the manual)?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I don't see how this could be a problem with the tube. If a tube is going bad everything would lose color, not one particular channel. (If you're telescope lens or mirror is dirty, everything you look at is going to appear unclear or distorted - the Moon, Jupiter, your neighbor's car in the driveway. If the car and the Moon look fine and Jupiter looks fuzzy, the problem lies somewhere else.)

I'd say it is much more likely that the tuner is having a problem with that channel. I'm assuming the cable is plugged directly into the TV. Try hooking up a cable box or a cable ready VCR in between the coax wall outlet and the TV, and use that as the tuner with the TV eitehr on chennel 3/4 or set to the appropriate input. I'd be curious that resolves the color problem.

Regards,

Joe

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

Excellent analogy.......

4. Rob White

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for your help. The cable runs through a cable box and a VCR and into the set. When I take that same cable and run it to a different set, the color issue wasn't a problem (but maybe I needed to leave that set plugged in longer to see if it became an issue. I'm assuming that if it's a tuner issue, then the same color issue would come up on the other set that I tried. And, if it did come up, then we'd know that it's not the set.

Assuming the second set did have the same color issues, what's the fix? A new cable box from the cable company?

The cable company's been out and they tested the signal strength and said it was strong.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Rob

5. Rob White

And, my same in-laws have a second set with a different problem. This set is a rear projection (about 10-12 years old). The picture seems fine, but every so often there is a strange waviness (sp?) to the picture. It usually clears up in a few seconds and then everything's great for a while. Watching a football game this afternoon, it might happen at the start of a commercial, or when a particular screen came up in the game. I don't know how to describe it any better I'm afraid. Any idea what that might be?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

That channel might need fine tuning, but most modern TV sets do not have a fine tuning control.

The reason for the need for fine tuning could be an irregularity in the way that channel was transmitted but it is too early to say.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm