Is My House Haunted? :)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Aug 13, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Thought this would be a fun thread after watching a show on the Sci-Fi channel called Peter Machnes Ghost Stories....

I've had a few strange things happen, but not many...

1)A few times, my doors doorknob turned by itself like soemone was trying to open it, yet the door stayed closed. I was home alone when this happened, so no one could have been there to do it...

2)My Stereo Turned itself on twice in one weeks time.

3)My light turned itself on and off twice. I wasn't paying attention to weather it was the wall switch that mo ved, or the turn switch on the light, because it happened so suddenly.

4)Occasionally, I'll get strange drafts of wind, but these could be a bit easier explained since sometimes the air is on, or the door is open when they happen. However, they usually happen when I sit on the couch downstairs, where it would be a bit unusual for a draft of wind to be considering the layout of the house...

5)Only once did my hair stand on end while I was at the computer, and for some reason I jiust got the sense that I didn't want to be in that room for a while and decided to leave. Hasn't happened since..

Anyone else with strange experiences?

The most interesting story on that show last night, was the 'infamous road with the school bus accident'. I'm a skeptic untill I try it myself, however [​IMG].

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

#1 may be attributed to #4
    and
    #'s 2, 3, & 5 sound like there may be an electrical problem. It might be wise to have it checked before something really bad happens.

p.s. If the electrician shows up and he looks like John Ratzenberger (from House II), then I'd say RUN!!!! [​IMG]

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

This reminds me of my 8th grade teacher. He said that his door(which was open as wide as possible) mysteriously closed by itself. The window was open, but the window is facing the same direction as the door and is facing. His explanation was that the wind hit the far end of the room, bounced back, just behind the door and slammed it shut.

Back to your problem, Neil. Electromagnetism causes most ghostly experiences. If you're located near a place that gives off a lot of electromagnetism, you may want to consider moving since long-term exposure will eventually make you go nuts. It'll effect your brain in ways you don't want to know.

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I think most people experience these ghostly effects. I myself have seen and heard many spooky things, and I do believe in ghosts. I've seen TVs turn on & off, and even my computer was once turned on, AFTER I had completely shut down, and turned it all the way off.

I've also heard the radio turn on, and sometimes when it's already on, it suddenly gets louder and louder, until I have to turn it down.

I've heard footsteps & doors slam, etc. Many of those things that you mentioned.

The scariest thing that I've ever seen, was when I was a my cousin's house, and we were playing Nintendo (this was over 10 years ago). We played for 5 hours straight, and decided that we should unplug the Nintendo from the wall, because it might get over-heated. As we looked to the outlet, the Nintendo had been completely unplugged the WHOLE TIME. It was never plugged into the wall, even though we had been playing with it! I'm totally serious. It totally freaked us out.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

RE:Electromagnetism

I was thinking about another story after you mentioned this, found on another similairly themed show. They said the ladies 'ghostly' experiences(More severe and weirder than mine), where caused by a high Electromagnetism feild surrounding the house. I beleive it was because of nearbye power lines or something if IRC.

I'll be damned if I can remember how they tested for it, however...

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

7. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Yes your house is haunted. Get out now! [​IMG]

quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)A few times, my doors doorknob turned by itself like soemone was trying to open it, yet the door stayed closed. I was home alone when this happened, so no one could have been there to do it...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another possibility, and I have seen this myself, is that sometimes after the last person turned the knob, the knob didn't reset fully back to its original position until perhaps, a draft, some vibration, or a change in temperature.

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

My DVD player often turns itself on after a power failure. The other night I happened to have the receiver on in DVD mode & there was a quick outage/surge, which kicked on the DVD player, which started playing the menu of the disc inside... which happened to be The Twilight Zone. So when I was in another room, with the rest of the house dark, that theme started playing. Oooh, scary. [​IMG] Just to be safe I sacrificed the neighbor's cat to keep the demons away.

9. James T

James T Screenwriter

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Kevin P, LMAO - It sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy rountine: "You may be haunted if..." [​IMG]

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think some Canadian scientist was able to induce odd experiences in people by having them wear a headset that "beams" EM into their brains.

12. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Max, sounds like a great experiment. I'll take $2.00/hour to sign up to have my brain fried! I'm no scientist, but I predict that if I put my finger in a light bulb socket, I'll have an odd experience!

[​IMG]

As for ghosts, I want to believe that they don't exist. But I can be scared of a dark basement, attic, or room if the mood is right...

13. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I think it comes down to what your willing to believe. And how spiritual a person is. Without going in depth(for obvious reasons) Silvia Browne has a few books out worth reading if your "into" that stuff. I have read one book about dreams and have yet to read her others. She nevers says ghosts she calls them physic impressions when you see a ghost. basically a another dimension or time shift that enters our own.

She would probably explain the stuff happening to you as a dead relative or someone that has passed that you were close to just letting you know there still around. Flicking lights tuning stuff on and off and moving stuff on you are things she says are quite common. She is, by the way a very well regarded physic. Her expertise is dreams and she is also a master hypnotist.

14. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

hey Dan...apparently the experiments produced feelings of vertigo in some people. And they also reported feeling like they are being watched, or that there was a presence in the room with them. The researchers were definitely not in the room, they at least knew to control for that. [​IMG]

Sudden pressure changes can cause doors to slam shut. It doesn't have to be an obvious draft. A high pressure system suddenly turning into a low pressure system outside could make doors to close or fling open.

Also, don't discount people with (very) mild schizophrenia ...isn't it true that roughly 30% of the population is affected? No, I'm not saying people are crazy, just that brain activity is more prone to sudden neurological bursts that coincide with strange hallucinatory effects in these people.

17. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

When we moved to Thailand, we leased our house to a family.

This is the strangest rumour I've ever heard in my entire life, but one of the main reasons this family moved out of our house was because they saw one of the walls bleed in our house.

A year and a half goes, and we move back to the States. And into the same house.

Funny thing is, we've still yet to see this. [​IMG]

I feel like Bart sometimes.

"Hey man, we own you. Make the walls bleed!"

19. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I think that part of the problem is that too many people have negative connotations about the word "ghost". It's amazing how many people I know believe in guardian angels but refuse to believe in ghosts. How many people believe in an all-poweful deity that looks over us yet they don't believe that spirits walk on the earth? [​IMG] From a metaphysical point of view, they're basically the same.

(Don't start pulling theology into this! I'm warning you! I'm just trying to point out some people's "unusual" extremes when it comes to this topic.)

I personally believe that ghosts do exist, not necessarily in the ways of a translucent, white apparition, but in the essence of those who have gone before us. I've experienced brief of very powerful ESP events to prove (to me anyway) that we're all far more capable of doing things with our minds than we currently know how to do.

Add that to the generally-accepted notion that energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely changed, and that our brains and nervous systems consist of very complex energy patterns ... well, let's just say that I find it hard to believe that our energy - our "soul", if you will - just disappears into nothingness when the ol' ticker stops beating.

20. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Whoohoo! I love these haunted-house threads!

Personally I've never been haunted before, but one time I was on an Army of Darkness fansite and I heard someone speaking in a low voice in the room. It scared the crap outta me, I thought it was coming from behind me. I jumped out of my chair and walked slowly out of the room. It took me five minutes to figure out it came from my speakers, it was an audio clip from the movie!:b

Kyle[​IMG]