is my HK AVR-225 broken?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CarlosM, Jan 21, 2004.

1. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

I just recently recieved a refurbished HK AVR-225 from their authorized Ebay store.

Upon setting it up, i began to use their EZSet SPL callibration tool, but the levels did not seem right... I havent gotten a radio shack analog SPL meter (though i will), but without doubt to fix the levels, I had to place the right channel up +5 db just for it to sound normal (and my gf confirmed the level). I re-ran the EZSet callibration and it did not reduce the levels!

a 5 db difference from the left to right speakers does NOT seem right -- is there something wrong with my reciever? I checked the cables, and even switched the left and right channels (moved left spkr+wire to right binding posts)-- same results.

I am getting some new sound king wire in tomorrow (instead of my current monster 16ga).

My speakers are B&W DM602 S3s.

Thank You.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Do you have your volume high enough when running EZSet???

When I purchased my H/K AVR-7200, there was an additional information sheet packed which indicated:

"In some cases, particularly where your listening room is large or when your speakers have a relatively low erfficiency, the EzSet remote may not be able to accurately calibrate the output levels when the volume is set to -15dB, as shown in step 2 of the instructions ... we recommend that you increase the volume level to -10dB and repeat the EzSet process."

3. CarlosM

I did not see that.. but these speakers are rated at 90dB for sensitivity (so that shouldnt be an issue). Ill try it again at -10dB (I tried at -15dB as stated in the manual).

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Also, EZSet could not work properly if your listening area is quite large. Even though your speakers have a 90dB efficiency rating, EZSet could choke if your living room has a vaulted ceiling - or, opens up to a large dining room or hallway. All of these variables will have an effect on how well EzSet works.

Personally, I have not used EzSet with my AVR-7200. I have the RS SPL meter and setup DVDs, so I really can't elaborate on how well it works or doesn't work.

Keep us posted on how your situation carries out.

5. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Just out of curiousity, Carlos, does one of your speakers happen to be in a corner and the other not in a corner? That will make some difference, usually in the lower frequency range. However, you're correct in thinking 5dBs is a bit much. I could see a corner speaker being maybe 1-3dBs higher than a non-corner one but I dunno about 5dB...

6. CarlosM

no -- the issue is directly from the reciever. I confirmed this by switching the binding posts the wires were connected to.

I moved the left speaker to the RIGHT output/binding posts... then moved the right speaker to the LEFT output/binding posts.

This switched which speaker sounded lower in volume, which tells me it is not speaker position, the speakers themselves, or the wires/connections -- it is the actual right output on the receiver.

I assume that a call to HK is in order.

7. CarlosM

problem found: me

i forgot to check speaker balance.. sorry for wasting everyones time