Is my HDTV Ready Set Obsolete with Firewire ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Gu, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Scott Gu

Scott Gu Auditioning

I have an HDTV ready set. I am hearing my Cable company (Cablevision of New York) will soon start to send HDTV channels over a fire wire (IEEE 1394) connection. If my HDTV ready set does not have a firewire port will it be obsolete ? Does anyone know if a decoder will be available that will accept a firewire port input, and then output in analog to my HDTV ready set ?
    If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.
    Thank you,
    Scott G.

2. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

What set do you have? Mitsubishi promises in writing that they will provide an upgrade path for there sets including the firewire and any copy protection schemes that happen. If you don't have a Mits set then I still wouldnt worry to much, I think enough "ready" sets have been sold to make it profitable for someone to develop a firewire to component converter box.

3. Scott Gu

Scott Gu Auditioning

I have a Sony 32XBR400.
    I am a little concerned because I have heard my Cable company is going to use the IEEE 1394 (firewire port) on their new STB to deliver HDTV channels. Does this mean that all I would have to do is buy a new decoder, and at least the set is saved ?
    Thanks for the help,
    Scott G.

4. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

I would still say don't worry, I can't imagine them having firewire as your only option when there still are no tvs out there that can even accept firewire yet, thats putting the cart before the horse and would doom them to failure.

5. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I think this is similar to the HDCP/DVI scheme, currently being developed. MPAA doesnt want HD transfers of their movies to be available via analog HD outputs (because of the ease of copying), so they're going with an encyrpted DVI interface. This firewire port is another competing copy protection scheme, similar to DVI. Basically it means that NO HD signal will be passed through analog cables. So there will be no converter boxes, as it would defeat the purpose of these schemes to begin with. The only 'option' is either retro-fitting existing sets (for a fairly high price ~$1,000 or more), or buying a new set.
    Yes, I think this is bullshit.
    Right now, Mitsubishi is the only company that announced an upgrade path for existing HDTV ready sets.
    I am an owner of a Sony HS10. Many people are furious at these 'proposals'. However, many also think that there's not a snowballs chance in hell that these schemes will make it.
    Let's hope so...
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

These proposals are rather like Macrovision's motto of "Quality Protection" Uh, right.
    ------------------
    For 11+ hours of Beethoven music available nowhere else, visit www.unheardbeethoven.org (New THIRD Millennium update done 10/22/00 )