What's new

Is my DVD-RW drive failing? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
My 2.5 year old Lite-On SOHW-1213S drive is now suddenly taking about 3 times as long to burn DVD-R media (both data and DVD video with more than one software program). What once took about 14 minutes at 4x is now taking over 40 minutes. I am now also seeing the buffer hover around 40% when it used to sit at over 90% during a burn. Is this a sign that my drive is starting to fail?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Did Sony buy out NEC? There is only one NEC available at NewEgg.com but there are a few listed as Sony/NEC.

My Lite-On has burned probably 500-600+ DVD-R, DVD+RW, and CD-R discs over the past two and a half years and it was only supposed to be a temporary drive when I bought my PC so I guess it could be time to upgrade now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh snap! Didn't realize that NEC got gobbled up by Sony. Perhaps it's time to look at the Lite-on units as well, then. Either way, the drives are so cheap nowadays, it's easier to replace then troubleshoot/repair.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I ended up ordering a new Lite-On 20X burner with LightScribe™ (the LH-20A1H) from newegg.com for $37.99. I received it today and installed it this evening. So far I have burned 3 DVD-Rs and this thing screams compared to the old one.

I guess I can take the old one to work and slap it into that PC since they were too cheap to get us DVD-RW drives in our new machines.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

I noticed that my DVD-ROM drive has been acting weird with DVDs recently as well. Playback is a bit jerky now and I seem to be using a lot more CPU than I used to. As a test, I took a DVD and started ripping it to the hard drive and was only able to get a 1.5X read speed and the CPU seemed to be working a lot harder than normal. I opened up the device manager and took a look at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to make sure that DMA was enabled and I notced that there were duplicate entries for both the primary and secondary channels. Is this normal or could this be why my DVD-ROM drive is acting up? By the way, DMA is enabled all the way around.

EDIT: I uninstalled the secondary instances of both the primary and secondary channels and rebooted. They both reinstalled themselves and I am now seeing 12X+ read speeds from the DVD-ROM drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks