Is my DVD player sending a progressive signal?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Rivera, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Agent

Hi:

I have a Sony DVD player with component outputs going to my HD plasma. The DVD player is about two years old.

When I select the Component Inputs on the plasma, the monitor says 480i. Shouldn't it say 480p?

Or is it possible that the DVD player isn't a progressive scan model even though it has component outputs.

I don't have the model number since I'm in my office.

If it's not a progressive DVD player, will I get a much bettter picture by getting one that is?

What if I go to a model (Samsung) that had DVI outputs? My plasma will accept DVI.

Any ideas?

Mike

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

It's likely your're DVD player is not progressive. It would certainly be noted in a menu or on the front of the DVD player itself. So, if you don't see it noted anywhere then it's not progressive.

Yes, you would certainly benefit from a progressive scan DVD player. A DVI connection would also work very nicely. You just have to decide how much you're willing to spend and then you can ask everyone for advice on what to buy.

Tiger

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Does it have a switch anywhere for switching between progressive and interlaced? If not its interlaced only. If its over 2 years old its most likely interlaced only unless you paid $1000 or more for it. You might get better quality if you get a high-end progressive player with a top-rated Faroujda or Silicon Image de-interlacer ($300+) but not the cheaper ones. Your plasma has a decent de-interlacer already for converting interlaced sources to progressive display. The current first-generation DVI players have problems, I'd say wait for the next generation and check reviews then on those.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't know where the misconception that "component connections=Progressive scan capability" got started but it's showing up more and more. One guy over in the display devices forum felt duped because the 20" tv he bought his little girl had component inputs but wouldn't do progressive scan.

All but the cheapest dvd players have had component outputs from the inception of the format, doesn't mean it will do progressive scan, and such connections have been the norm on almost all analog tvs 27" and up for a couple of years.

That being said, most dvd players that ARE progressive scan ship with it disabled. The players are in interlaced mode as shipped so people unaware of progressive scan don't buy them, connect them to their non-progressive scan tv's, get hash instead of picture, and return them as defective.

You must go into the player setup menu (where you set it for 16/9 vs full screen for example) and enable progressive scan, so hunt around in there and you might get a pleasant surprise.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would help tremendously if we knew specifically which model Sony player you are using. As Steve notes, component-video outputs are not analogous to progressive-scan output.

6. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Any Prog. Scan DVD player I've seen had a badge of some sort proudly displayed on the face if not the back panel??

Rick

7. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Agent

Okay, it's not a progressive scan model.

Will I get a much better picture with a DVI output DVD player, like the $300 Samsung or $200 V, Inc. Bravo? I don't want to spend much more for the bedroom TV.

Or I can wait a few months for the second generation DVI DVD players.

My plasma is a Gateway 42" HD model. I know it's not the best, but HD (not ED) for $3,600 was hard to pass up for the bedroom.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Wait for the next generation if you want DVI or else get a top-rated component progressive player like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600,DVD-910.