Is My DVD Player Compatible??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JayKellen, Dec 7, 2003.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

Quick question, and I thank everyone in advance for helping me out, but I bought my parents a dvd player for christmas a couple years ago, a Toshiba, model 1600 series, and now, I want to get them a surround sound system...I am not sure if this DVD player is compatible with dolby digital and dts...it has the dts and dolby digital symbols right on the front of the player, but i checked the back of it and i saw audio outs (or ins) for analog, s-video outs and a bitstream something or other but no optical out...isnt the optical out what I need if it already has the decoders built in??...what is the bitstream out??...the reason I am asking is because I am not sure if i should get a home theater in a box that includes the dvd player that already has the decoders, or if i can save a hundred bucks or so and just get them the surround system minus the dvd player....again, thanks for any info

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Its tough to say for sure. However, the fact that it has the symbols likely means that it will at least pass the DD and DTS signals. If that is the case, then you will need to buy them a receiver with a built-in decoder (which most of them have). As for the optical out, that is one of two ways to transmit the digital audio stream. The other is a "coaxial digital" cable. Similar to a standard RCA cable. This is probably what is labeled "bitstream" on their player.

If it is the Toshiba SD-1600 that I saw at Amazon.com then it does pass DD and DTS (you'll need a receiver that has them built in)...and has 1 coaxial digital output.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You're confused. That's ok.

That player (as per what google tells me [​IMG] ) has a coaxial digital output that is compatible with both DD and DTS. It does not have on-board decoders (most all DVD players are like this). Optical is just a different way of transmitting the digital signal that is EXACTLY IDENTICAL to digital coax. So you can purchase speakers and a receiver, and the receiver handles all the DD or DTS decoding. You would then connect the digital output from the DVD player to a digital input on a surround receiver, and you're good to go. (you may have to enable DTS in the DVD player's menu to get dts, though).

This is covered in the primer/faq pretty well too.

good luck [​IMG]