Is my DTV receiver dying?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Paquette, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

This weekend I noticed that many of my Directv channels would not come in. So I jumped over the signal meter and see that my signal strength is around 55 on all 3 satellites. When I installed this oval dish last fall I was getting mid to upper 80's on all 3 satellites. My first thought was maybe the dish need to be re-aligned. So I tweaked it a bit, but no change in signal strength. My second thought was a bad piece of cable so I temporarily replaced the cable run from the dish to the receiver, no change in signal strength. So I figure at this point it's either the LNB or the receiver. Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm leaning toward the receiver being the problem since it's about 4 years old and the dish is less than 1 year old.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mark,
    What is the make and model of your receiver? If it's a Hughes E-86 or one of it's clones it's probably your reciever. These were also sold under Toshiba and Mitsubishi brand names about 4 years ago. They were prone to overheating and frying themselves.

3. Mark Paquette

Yep, it's a Hughes E-86.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Although your low signal strength may not be due to a bad receiver the current models are so much better that it's worth getting a new box anyway. If that doesn't get your channels back you may have a problem with the lnbs. There was one make of oval dish out a while back that was problematic but I don't remember which it was--maybe ask over at AVS Forum?.

I started out with a Toshiba branded E-86, which always got satellite channels fine but whose local ota digital tuning was crap. It's upconversion of non-HD to 1080i was also crap.

I replaced it after 2 frustrating years with a Sony HD-200, built by LG, which had great upconversion and excellent local ota digital reception. I just recently got the HD-Tivo, and it is just as good as the Sony. Oddly though both always got the HD channels just fine, the HD-Tivo does give higher signal strenght readings than the Sony did, and I did nothing to the dish or cabling.

If you have enough patience to wait a month or two you can try this: Call up DirecTV or go to their website and add their service policy to your subscription, costs something like $7 a month. Wait a few weeks then call and tell them you've lost those channels and probably need a new box. They'll send out a new or refurbished box, most probably one of the current models with vastly improved performance by Fedex overnight, you put your old box in the carton and ship it back at their expense.

5. Mark Paquette

I'm considering purchasing a HD-Tivo unit. Rumor over on the Tivo Community forums is that Directv is going to lower the price on those another $100 8-1-05 and possibly have a $100 rebate as well.