Is my dog the only nut?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Apr 12, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Just curious if it's common for older dogs to start eating grass? Every summer when the grass will start to grow, occasionally he'll stop and start chewing on the taller stuff and won't move unless I pick him up...

Weird, but on the bright side, it's a que on when to start mowing the lawn [​IMG].

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think most dogs eat grass. All 5 of my dogs do. I've read that it helps with upset stomaches, it's how they get their roughage, and that they like the taste. Not sure which is true, probably all. Just watch out for the grass puke bombs that your dog may occasionally leave, sometimes even in the house.

3. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Both of my dogs enjoy munching a little fresh grass now and again. That's why I never fertilize the backyard.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

My dog did it since he was a puppy. He started off licking the morning dew off the grass, then he started to eat it. If I can, I pull him away from the grass once I see that he's eating it as he usually throws up afterwards.

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

My 10 year old dog always has and still does eat grass. She just did it this afternoon.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

most dogs do in my experience too.
    I think I read somewhere that it can be some sort of vitamin deficiency too.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My 2 Dalmatians eat grass as well. But, when they have done it they've thrown it back up. It does not happen very often so I figured it just helps with an upset stomach like StephenA mentioned above.