Is my Denon 1603 holding me back?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Steve Q, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Steve Q

Steve Q Auditioning

First post! [​IMG]

I've been reading this forum for a long time and recently purchased a home theater setup, opting for good closeout deals and planning to upgrade piece by piece later. I moved up from a Sony $200 HTIB so needless to say it's a dramatic improvement already. Here's the setup:

Denon 1603 Receiver ($199 from 6th ave)
    M&K V-75 MK-II Sub ($302 closeout from Great Indoors)
    Ascend Series 3000 = 2 x HTM-200 and 3 x 340-series (~$1000)

Since my old setup was so poor I was about 98% movies and 2% music, but now I'm probably closer to 70%/30% since everything sounds good. I never usually turn the volume past -15 when watching movies so it's not terribly short on power.

Is it really that dramatic of an improvement going up to a receiver in the $600-$1000 range? Does it sound that much cleaner and is the power really necessary? With my current listening room I won't be adding a 6th or 7th speaker due to the fact that it opens up to the kitchen/breakfast area and isn't wired for it. I really don't want to pay for features I won't be using...extra channels, processing modes I'll never use, etc...so I'd probably be looking for an older/discontinued DD/DTS/PLII 5-channel model that's high quality and priced to move. Suggestions are welcome...

I don't think I'd get much out of going to separates because frankly I'm not into the type of music that lends itself to critical listening.

Thanks for the help!

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Yes better receivers are more powerful and cleaner but the denon is no slouch. I dont know anything about Ascend but it looks to me that you have got a perdy good system. Are you not happy with it? Setting the speakers to small will help. If you want to upgrade there are HarmanKardon receivers going cheap now and they are very clean IMO. By the way, welcome to the HTF.

3. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

I agree with GrahamT

Can't go wrong with the HK recievers. They are TOP NOTCH and perform better then Denon when it come to music. Both are similar with movies.

Check out the AVR 325 or 525. Both are very good and adequate for your needs.

4. Steve Q

Steve Q Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. I love the way everything sounds now with the Denon. I guess since I got off so cheap on the setup I want to make sure I'm not missing out on something. The sub doesn't seem to be lacking, but you always wonder what it'd be like with a PB2+...receiver seems fine but you wonder how much better it could be. I was in Fry's and noticed their setup sounds great with an HK 7200...albeit in a specially designed room. Guess I'm starting to see why this becomes an addiction [​IMG]