Is My Current HK Enough?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Sarno, Nov 30, 2003.

1. James Sarno

James Sarno Stunt Coordinator

Thinking out loud...

I am currently using a HK AVR110 with a Infinity Entra Series set up... I am very happy with my HK and would'nt dream of getting rid of it...BUT...I plan on upgrading my speaker set up to Alpha's or a Paradigm set up...5.1 is fine,so I really dont need the "bells & whistles" of the 525,630...etc...
    BUT,how about power...the 110 drives the Entra's to near perfection(imo)...Is it enough to drive a large Alpha or 'Digm set up?(40wpc in 5.1/50wpc in stereo)
    I really like my 110 but do I need to get something with more power?

all opinions welcomed...
    Thanks...[​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

You saying right now it handles sustained reference level HT???? If so, those are some great efficient speakers.

I would absolutely think more power would be needed.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With Paradigm's Performance series, it should be fine unless you are looking for floorstanders. More power would be better, but probably isn't necessary.

4. James Sarno

John Garcia,
    Well that's one of my problems....I really like the look of the Monitor 7's and the 9's as well,Same with the Alpha 50's...Both floorstading...Would'nt want to damage those speakers with a underpowered reciver(if thats even possible)
    The Entra's are small floorstanders so it's ok with my HK AVR110...Brutal...[​IMG]

John S,
    I dont know about refrence level...but after hours of calibration,positioning,bass management...and a thick shag rug[​IMG] ...they sound really good in my 14x15 room

Thanks guys...

5. John S

John S Producer

14x15 with normal cielings is not to big...

My thinking gets skew'd on power and speaker efficiency ratings because my room is nearly 20' x 30' with 10' cielings.

I also tend to go with a surplus of power for my suggestions too. :)

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For Monitors, I would recommend more power - definitely with the 9s or 11s. I'm not a big fan of the Alphas, but the 50s are probably going to want more power also.

You are MORE likely to damage speakers by underpowering them. When the receiver/amp runs out of power, you get distortion (clipping), which is what damages the drivers. H/Ks typically supply plenty of current, but you might be pushing the limits of the 110s power supply.

If you can get a pair of any of them and try them out in your room, you will find out for certain. Just make sure to turn it down if you start to hear strain/distortion.

7. Sinbad

Sinbad Auditioning

James I just upgraded my system to Monitor 7's up front with Titans in the back and I find my HK 110 a little on the weak side.Would love to get the 525 or 7200if they weren't so darn expensive up here.

8. James Sarno

Sinbad,
    Besides the lack of power...How do the 7's sound with the 110?...
    Looks like it is a nice set up...Hope you can find your HK AVR525/7200 at a decent price...
    The Circut City in my area is starting to drop prices on their current HK's to make room for the newer models,Same with the Infinity speakers...But the Monitor 7's or 9's would be my first choice...Maybe even an Axiom set up...
    I would hate to get rid of my 110,since its been doing a great job for the past 3 years...

9. Sinbad

Sinbad Auditioning

James, I went to the audio store I bought the speakers at and listened to them with a NAD t752. I could hear a big difference (NAD's 80wpc compared to HK's 40). Got me thinking about upgrading to this receiver but also checking out the Yamaha rx-v1400.

10. James Sarno

Sinbad,
    It's been said that the HK's are "warm" sounding recivers,and that they pair up good with some speakers that are on the "bright" side...If you like the way your 7's sounded but felt more power was needed then you just might stick with HK(525/7200)...But like you said, you heard a big diffrence with the NAD(was it just a volume issue or sound quality issue?)...Maybe you'll like the Yamaha,when you check it out...I'm not sure if the Monitor series are considered "bright",but again check out the Yamaha...Maybe see if you can demo a more powerful HK...
    Keep me posted...

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have the HK 500, and the sound is warm and really kick the Platinum Audio speakers I purchased as a close out. 40 wpc is good but at reference levels (20 to 25 db) depending on the speakers can be taxing to the receiver and create distortion. If you are comfortable with the lower levels that provide the warm sound, I think your fine, but if you want to raise the levels, you may have to upgrade that receiver to accomodate the Monitor 7s.