Is My Copy of "The Rock" Criterion Collection Defective?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott-C, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

OK, even though I purchased "The Rock" Criterion Collection months ago, I finally got around to watching it for the first time tonight. Love this movie!
    However, I had a heckuva time getting it to play. When the menu came up, I first went into the "Audio Options" to select DD5.1. Upon pressing the button to select it, the DVD responded as though I had hit the "Stop" button - black screen, no action. I had to re-hit the "Menu" button to start over. When I tried it a second time, same thing.
    I then ignored that, and tried to play the movie by selecting the appropriate option off of the menu ("Play Movie" option). Same thing! The DVD acted like I had hit the "Stop" button. Upon further experimentation, the only way I could get the movie to play was by selecting track 1. I then hit the "Audio" button to select DD5.1.
    BTW, I have a Pioneer Elite DV-37. I also still have my first DVD player, a Sony DVP-S7000, and tried the disc in there with similarly bad results. It would appear the menu system is not working at all from what I can tell.
    Has anyone else experienced this type of problem, or do I simply have a defective DVD on my hands?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I don't know if you have a defective disc but its sounds like it. I've watched it a couple of times now on my RP91 without a problem and I lent it to a friend with a Toshiba SD-1200 and he had no problems either.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I was afraid that's what I'd hear...but thanks for the post. Guess I'll have to figure out a way to exchange it if that's even possible after all these months!
    ------------------
    Scott

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Scott, send an email to Jon Mulvaney at:
    [email protected]
    Explain your problem and I'm sure he'll either provide instructions to fix it or will ask you to mail it in for exchange. Trust me, Jon will respond to you and fix this problem - the customer service at criterion is top-notch.

5. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with this disc!!! I too have the Pioneer Elite DV-37. It is the only disc I've ever had problems with. When I select the audio and try to play it, the disc stops. I got it to work because of a workaround, but I don't remember exactly how I did it! I guess I just dismissed it as weird when I watched it for the first time, but I guess it's good to see I'm not the only one.
    Must just be a defective combo of disc and player.
    Matt

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Works fine on my Tosh 2150.
    ------------------
    -Keith-

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

My copy works fine as well...awesome action flick.
    However, I think it's kinda sad when a person knows the exact model number of their friend's DVD player.
    *just joking*
    -Nate
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will email Jon Mulvany and will post the nature of his reply for anyone to see.

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Just wanted to follow up on this for anyone interested. I contacted Jon Mulvany via email at Criterion about this problem and got a response today. Jon suspects that I have a defective DVD and suggested I try to exchange it with my disc vendor (Amazon.com). If I'm unsuccessful, he asked me to let him know and he would help me figure out something. Very nice person and very accomodating.
    So, hopefully I'm on my way to getting a working copy of an exceptionally cool movie and great DVD package!
    ------------------
    Scott

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I don't know. I got that disc, but I've never used that audio option. sorry.

11. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Jon Mulvaney is by far one of the best customer service representatives I have ever had to deal with. I had a defective Chasing Amy disc and he helped me immediately with the problem.
    Replacing the disc at Amazon.com could be a problem because they don't accept any returns after 60 days.

12. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Yep, I suspect I won't get much satisfaction from Amazon.com, but I thought I'd try before asking Jon for help. We'll see...
    ------------------
    Scott

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Well, tonight I arrived home and received a package from Amazon.com - a replacement copy of "The Rock - Crit. Collection"! I had to jump through some hoops to get Amazon to send it, but lo and behold they did, and even included a postage-paid return slip so I can return the defective copy.
    For the first time in a while, I've been satisfied with customer service at Amazon.com.
    At any rate, just thought I'd "close the loop" on this issue for anyone interested.
    BTW, the new copy works just fine - all menus seem to work correctly now.
    ------------------
    Scott