What's new

Is Monster worth the dough? (1 Viewer)

Don Morrison

Agent
I am fairly new to this whole HT thing, but seems to have grabbed me and is now taking me on a journey that I am barely prepared for: The journey into HT that is!!

I have Mitsu 46" 16:9 HD-ready RPTV, and some fairly cheap DVD and VCR players, etc. I am currently looking into buying a nice set of speakers and a receiver. I am thinking the Denon 1803 will fit my budget when it comes out in Fall. Anyway, I want to get some good interconnects, etc... But I can't afford to spend the amount that most high end cables cost. What are some good cables that I can get (interconnects, component, etc) that won't break my bank. I can really only afford to spend like $75-100 total on cables. Any suggestions??

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Don,
With a budget for cables that's under $100, you should carefully list exactly what cables you'll need because even buying inexpensive (but decently built) cables you may go over $100 for a component cable, a digital cable or two, and some interconnects.
There are lots of threads here at HTF regarding inexpensive cables (search for "inexpensive cable" or simply look through the posting for the past month or so).
Radio Shack Gold Series may suit your needs, as may Acoustic Research (you can find the Pro series of AR cables at www.accessories4less.com at good prices).
Regards,
Mike

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Interconnect: if there's a Target store by you, you might consider the following:
component cables 12' ge's seem to be rather well built, gold plugs...$20. http://www.target.com/common/catalog...ump&navCount=1
most of your other cables can certainly be obtained over at www.partsexpress.com
they've a toll free number, s/h won't gouge you, delivery is quick, service is good.
for example, a 100' ft roll of 12 gauge speaker wire $36.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7
you can pick up spades or bananas or whatever turns you on...
A/V interconnects 1 1/2 feet for under $14
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=115959&DID=7
so forth and so on.
other's i'm sure can suggest other websites. the A/R line of cables are good with the middle of the road seeming to have a more robust construction.
in fact you may well find that paying more in certain cases does not necessarily result in better performance, but even for those who wish to over-spec their cables can find it can be done quite reasonably.

Don Morrison

Agent
Ok. So here is what I need.

1 S-Video
1 Component
3 Interconnects
1 Digital Coax

So far that is it I think. I don't have a hue system yet, so I amtrying to do this slowly.

Would it be worth finding some Silver Serpent or Monster Cables on eBay at a good price??

THanks for the Help...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If there's nothing else, there is certainly no shortage of used 'audiophilic' cable out there! if you're going to buy from ebay then certainly try to select a seller with a good feedback rating. Mr. Matheson has certainly provided an excellent option and the website he gave enjoys a very favorable reputation for pricing, service, etc. Monster's tend to be a bit expensive because one is dealing with a large advertising budget and someone has to pay for that. On the other hand, the cables i believe are waranteed for life against defects in workmanship and all that so long as you have your receipt. For some this is a factor. AR's don't quite have that overhead so they may well be a bit more reasonably priced. The many other players in this marketplace while not having the overhead of advertising, instead must deal with the fact they can't buy or produce anything on an economical basis. So they look to differentiate their product in some way or another, be it stranding, materials of construction, appearance, and so forth. Hence higher prices. Lots of good stuff out there at prices that won't break you.
If you want to get more out of your system, pay attention to the placement of your speakers, their balancing, and your room.

Eric S

Agent
Someone recently posted a like to this web site for do-it-yourself cables. It might be worth a look and will likely save you some money if you plan to need more cables in the future (very likely if you've recently just started this addictive hobby!)
IMO, many of these designs will outperform most commercial brands costing many times more.
Eric

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Don: first you need to know about the 10% rule: You should budget 10% of your electronics cost for cables.
My guess is that TV cost you about $2100 - so $200 for component cables is not out of line.
Yes, you can do better.
Here is a link to a thread with lots of web links for custom cable sites. They can usually save you some money over Monster. They are not dirt-cheap, but very good quality for modest prices. (This is the stuff the production industry uses).
Personally, your most sensitive sense is your eyes so your video cable is the most critical. Dont go poor quality Esp since your TV is going to take that video signal, digitize it, up-convert it then display it. It's doing a LOT more with that signal than an ordinary TV. A cheap cable might make a visible problem because of all the processing going on.
The one place you CAN save money is the coaxial-digital cable. This is simply a video cable and since the signals are digital, they are fairly insensitive to the cable quality. Just get a $12 AR/Radio Shack video cable.
Good Luck.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Don,
I have had good luck installing the new Audioquest cable on my friends systems. The Sidewinder is a particularly good cable of audiophile origin for only $35-39 depending on dealer for a 3 foot pair. They sound significantly better than even the $100/pair Monster I own.
I have had good luck, however, with Monster video cable. Just stay away from their coax. My last purchase failed to interact with my new set top box.
Hope that helps. Oh, yeah, here is the website with really good technical details on the cable...
www.audioquest.com
:)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I was very happy purchasing an AR svideo cable, House brand Component cable, house OPtical cable for well under $50 from partsexpress.com.
Their own brand of optical cable BLOWS away the radio shack cables (think the 6 foot is like $13 or so). I am also very happy with their component cable although YMMV.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have Monster Zseries Cable running to my mains and all monster cables for hardware connection. They may be a bit pricey, but I know I'm getting quality and a very strong cable! There are so many companies and so many good companies you could go with anyone, but I just like monster and their power supplies are very good also!
Basically it's "to each his own" in home theatre, as long as it's quality and NOT anything Bose! :D

Users who are viewing this thread