1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Monk worth buying with Sharonna?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by HowardPaul, May 28, 2006.

1. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, the header shoud read WITHOUT Sharonna.
    I was so disheartened if not devastated that Sharonna was let go in Monk that I stopped watching the show right after her replacement appeared. I simply didn't like her.
    I'm rethinking that decision and wondering if it is worth buying Season 3?
    How

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I like Natalie better then Sharonna. Took a few episodes to get used to her, but now Im glad the charectors were switched

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I agree.

I loved Sharona, thought she was great, thought her departure would seriously impair the show - and now I struggle to even remember her.

They're almost identical as characters, and basically both fulfill the exact same role, so it's not a real radical change. If you liked Monk with Sharona, you'll like it with Natalie. It's still recognisably the same show. The chief change is just that Natalie is just a little bit more fond of Monk than Sharona was - with Sharona, you could tell she liked Monk, but it really was just a job for her. Natalie enjoys being with Monk, even though he exasperates her frequently.

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    I agree as well... I admit I was concerned with the change... but now prefer the seasons with Natalie.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I prefer Natalie's character over Sharona by quite a margin, but I still think the writing & mysteries were better overall in the earlier seasons. The most recent episodes tend to downplay the mystery aspect and focus primarily on the comedy. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. Even when the plotline is thin, Shaloub is always good and the chemistry between Monk and Natalie is miles better than Monk and Sharona.

The actress who played Sharona probably commited career suicide by overestimating her worth and leaving the show.

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Add me to the list of those who were originally very concerned about the loss of Sharona, but, from the very first episode featuring Natalie, I much, much prefer Natalie over Sharona.

As for the writing, I personally don't think it's a total downhill slide, but there are definitely some ups and downs. But, for me at least, that's always been true of the show...some eps are simply better than others, in ANY season, and over the entire course of the show thus far. There are at least a handful of latter-day eps that I'd put up against the absolute best of the earlier seasons.

And, as for your unintentional thread title, the way it reads now is actually the bigger question, as all the replies so far will attest. Nothing against Sharona...I loved the character, UNTIL Natalie showed up.

But, IMO, all of Monk is worth buying.

7. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will have to give her another try. I did see Natalie in her first episode and was not impressed, to be frank. But, I might have been bummed out over the loss of Sharonna.
    [​IMG]
    What an intriguing character she played!
    As well as the show did WITH her, I still can't grasp why she was allowed to leave. But, that's all water under the bridge.
    Thanks again!
    Best
    How

PS-Did the change occur early in Season 3?

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Howard,
    I know what you mean, when I first read that Bitty was leaving I was upset, how could they replace Sharona!? However it was very apparent from the moment Natalie appeared that I would like her, and now I absolutely love Natalie.

She isn't just "another sidekick" like one may assume, she's much more, sweet, caring, funny and with a great relationship with her daughter, Julie and, yes, her and Julie's relationship with Adrian.

I would not hesitate to recommend the post-Sharona seasons. [​IMG]

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

well,.. no! [​IMG]

10. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

I definitely agree; my big problem, though, is that as the show goes on, individual episodes have less and less Adrian and more and more of every other character. Now, I love the Captain, but do we really need, within one season, one where the Captain solves the crime, one where Randy solves the crime, one where Natalie solves the crime, one where Adrian's brother solves the crime, one where Young Adrian solves the crime, and another one where the Captain's personal life is vitally important to the episode even though Adrian solves the actual crime (which is the B-story of the episode)? It seemed to me, as this season was unfolding, like they were deliberately having as little of the character Monk as possible... seemed a weird choice.

I used to watch it for, in order, Tony Shalhoub, Ted Levine, and Bitty Schram. At this point, Ted Levine is the thing that keeps me watching.

11. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

At first, I was sure that I wouldn't care much for Natalie and her daughter Julie.

Oddly...I actually have found that I like the show better with Natalie than I did with Sharona.

Sharona was probably a more interesting character and made an effective and unique sidekick for Monk. However, I think the show has become more likable in recent seasons with Natalie and her daughter.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Here's my philosophy, you meet new people all the time in real life and over time you just except them, I try to extend that same way of thinking towards the show. Natalie isn't necessarily better or worse than Sharona...she's just a different individual with different character traits, just like in real life.