1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International Is Miss Saigon region-free?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Does anyone here actually have the Blu-ray release of Miss Saigon from Universal in the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYT5JDC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have heard that this might be region-free and have also heard from other places that it is region-locked, so was wondering if anyone could confirm for sure.

My copy is somewhere in the mail to me at this point, but I am considering buying another copy as a gift for a friend. This friend inherited one of my old Blu-ray players, which is Region 1/A, so I would like to confirm or deny the region-free nature of the disc prior to making another purchase. It would be nice to get the disc to my friend close to the birthday I'm acknowledging, but on the off chance that it is region-locked, I would feel bad about sending a gift she couldn't use.

Also: what is the holdup in getting this title to Region 1/A anyway? I would think that with the Broadway production currently performing with four of the same leads, this would sell like hotcakes at the theatre, and they're probably missing sales by not having it out here at this point.

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Yes!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

There are 3 user confirmed Region Free (or Region A+B) on Bluray.com in the database section and a few others in the discussion thread.
    It's Universal which would be typical

The DVD is PAL and Region 2/4/6. I think the "Making of/Behind the Scenes" featurette is only be on the DVD, by the "Anniversary Gala" is on the Bluray. Much easier to find a region free/Pal converting DVD player (most PC DVD can be utilized) if you want to watch

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The making-of material would be nice of course, but I am mostly concerned about the feature itself, especially for gifting purposes, as my friend missed the Fathom Events run of it back in September and has not yet seen it.

I also assume that the making-of material would also be included on any eventual Region 1/A release, so I personally would probably double dip for that down the line, but didn't want to wait to own the main program once I heard rumors of it being region-free. Glad to hear that is the case. Thanks, all.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I have bought 10 copies of the blu ray in London for my friends in New York. They are all happy that it is completely region free.
    There is also an extra of the reunion of all the previous casts. Amazing!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

I recently ordered this after seeing the current production on Broadway, and yes...it's region free! Unfortunately, the 2nd disc of bonus materials is not. Ah well, the important thing is the show, and you can view it on a region A player

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I love the Original Cast recording, although I've never seen the show (other than the scenes recreated on other shows - Tony's, etc). Missed it when it was in Chicago.

Watching the scene on this year's Tony broadcast, I wasn't thinking how wonderful the singing was, I WS thinking something else.
    Kim is singing to little Tam, and she rocks him and pulls his head to her shoulder. She is belting - her voice reaching the cheap seats, and all I can think about is 'man, that kid has to have super strong ear plugs'

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. MarkA

MarkA Second Unit

I checked the site and it says Region B/2.

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

It does. Now you have a choice of which sites are more reliable