What's new

Is Miramax going to release Zatoichi by itself? (1 Viewer)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
because this is the ugliest thing ever:

I don't really mind that it's coming packaged with another Beat Takeshi movie, but I would really just prefer to get Zatoichi if I could. If this is all R1 is getting, I'm going to get one of the R3s instead.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
It is hideous. But it might also provide a decent version of Sonatine, and so is worth keeping an eye on. Would be nice if that was a slip that held two keepcases, but given the price, I don't think we'll be so lucky!

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes, that looks like an ad, rather than an actual cover. If it turns out that really is the cover, Miramax has clearly outdone their ugly KILL BILL Vol 2 cover. :)

Anyway, it would be nice if SONATINE was offered separately (like it was originally announced at one point) because I already have the Japanese R2 disc of ZATOICHI. But the price is right, so if I end up with two ZATOICHI's, thats OK I guess.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I heard Sonatine will be full frame/pan and scan! I own Kikujiro, and I was so disappointed to see the film improperly framed and hacked up a similar way. So many of the images were so gorgeous on the cinema screen (saw it twice in the movies).

I was sorry to see Zatoichi was on a single screen in Miami Beach for two weeks and then dropped! The only way to see the real beauty of Kitano's cinema (if you can get there quick enough!) is in the movies it seems because his R1 DVDs are offenses to his craft, to say the least!

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I found that same HK edition online for not much money.
I can not BELIEVE Sonatine will be P&S from Miramax-please say it ain't so.
How dumb do they think we are-or want us to be?

Hans: Where did you hear about Sonatine being P&S? And regarding Kikujiro-isn't the DVD 1.85:1, or is that wrong AR?

Matt: Where did you find the Double-Feature image? 1/3 of it looks like Kill Bill...I feel like Miramax is totally bungling Kitano, they just can't trust the films to stand on their own. Yeesh.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I got the picture from the Digital Bits. They said it was cover art.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Check out details on Sonatine on DVD here:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=170476375
Under DVD features it says “Full frame - 1.33.”

It seems it won’t necessarily be exclusively packaged with Kitano’s Zatoichi, as these sites also allow for pre-order of Sonatine as a single disc (maybe that isn’t Zatochi’s cover art but some promo sheet? It could be too early to tell for sure):
DVD Empire:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...731603&redir=1
DVD Box Office:
http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/?descrip...h&pid=90052333

Here’s the problem with making foreign films 1:85: the standard foreign film is 1:66! 1:85 is the U.S. standard. If you own Kikujiro on DVD the most tell-tale sign the film is improperly framed is during Masao’s final dream sequence where Kikujiro and the other guys appear against a starlit sky and run in slow motion toward the camera, wearing all the weird outfits. Such a gorgeous scene and it’s trimmed at the edges, so you cannot appreciate all the characters’ costumes!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Sonatine was announced as a standalone release earlier this year but canceled a few weeks before the scheduled date. Those sites obviously haven't removed it from their systems, which is why they list either a January 2004 release date ("Backordered since 1/13/2004" on Video Universe, "Arrival: Monday, January 19, 2004" at DVD Box Office) or no release date ("Release date to be announced" at DVD Empire). I'm pretty sure Miramax has yet to "re-announce" the standalone Sonatine. So a) there's no standalone Sonatine coming, or if there is it hasn't been announced yet and b) the specs those sites provide aren't necessarily going to apply to the double-pack release.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Very well, I see what Jean-Michel pointed out. Hopefully they will not screw up the framing on this DVD, but I can tell you Kikujiro got screwed up (but that's a Columbia DVD if I recall coreectly, hopefully Miramax will treat Sonatine right).

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Thanks for that info Hans, depressing as it is.
FYI, HKFlix is offering an all-region NTSC Thai dvd of Zatoichi here (at least until, like HERO, the legal kibosh is put on retailers of all-region editions).

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Oh, and I should note here that although European films are often shot and projected at 1.66:1, Japanese films rarely are. 1.85:1 is the standard "flat" widescreen ratio in Japan, just as it is in North America, and I'm fairly certain Kikujiro should be 1.85:1. (Every DVD release of Kikujiro I'm aware of is either 1.85:1 or 1.78:1.) There may very well be a problem with the framing on the Columbia R1 but that's not necessarily an indication the AR is wrong. I don't know for sure about Sonatine but Zatoichi is definitely 1.85:1.

Seville Pictures in Canada will be releasing their own exclusive 'Signature Series' disc of Zatoichi on November 9th:

-1.85:1 Anamorphic,
-French/English optional subtitles,
-DD 5.1 Japanese, English and French,

Supplemental Materials:

-Takeshi Kitano Masterclass in Paris (32min)
-Making of Documentary (40min)
-Cast and Procuction Crew Interviews (50min)
-Trailer Gallery
(all supplements are subtitled in English/French)

The supplements seem to be the same ones that appear on the French R2 Wild Side Video 2-disc set.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

I don't trust this transfer or the disc at all. I am apprehensive and hesitant about it. Seville's version of the Zatoichi DVD is questionable and I see this DVD as being an uncertain purchase because Seville is not a very dependable company to deal with.

I am confused though, does this mean that the Seville "Signature Series" DVD will be 2-discs as well if it looks to be a direct port of the French R2 Wild Side Video Zatoichi DVD that you metioned or is Seville's intention to place everything onto one disc?

I'm probably better off importing the U.S version from Miramax. Hopefully the double feature film that's included which is Sonatine will be in its OAR. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Seville's signature selection line has a pretty good record of being well produced so I'll go ahead and preorder mine. Thanks for the info. :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any information on this DVD release?

I was wondering if they are both OAR and if these are the uncut versions.

Thanks for any info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks