What's new

Is "Miracles" going to make it? (1 Viewer)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I had high hopes for this show after the first episode, but it seems to be lost in the ABC shuffle. Last night's (3/10) episode was weak.

Ralph

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I liked it pretty well. I liked it well enough that it took quite a while to rrealize it was fairly simlar in many ways to the X-Files episode "Humbug." I think Miracles will likely be renewed simply because ABC has to renew something and they haven't renewed many of their hour shows yet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They claim we're going to get 5-6 episodes in a row. Don't know if they're trying to build an audience or if they're burning them off prior to cancellation. The ratings are pretty low, and I don't think it helped to pre-empt the show for 2-3 weeks just after it's premiere.

This is the first "new" show I've liked all season. I hope it sticks around.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Greenwalt & company have to decide what they want to do. Every week, they start with an unnecessary "previously on Miracles", but don't really build on what was in the clip package. Last night was a good done-in-one show, but it felt small because the creators are constantly throwing a bigger story in our faces.

I think Miracles will likely be renewed simply because ABC has to renew something and they haven't renewed many of their hour shows yet.
Just NYPD Blue and Alias, most likely, although I'd peg Dragnet as more likely to survive than Miracles.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I think Greenwalt & company have to decide what they want to do. Every week, they start with an unnecessary "previously on Miracles", but don't really build on what was in the clip package. Last night was a good done-in-one show, but it felt small because the creators are constantly throwing a bigger story in our faces.
I think that what they're doing is avoiding the bigger story for the first few episodes (there have only been 5 so far) so that an audience can build before they venture into more arc-oriented episodes. The fact that they have the "previously" segment which basically summarizes only the first episode would indicate that what they have the intention of doing more arc-oriented stuff in the future. If you'll recall, Mutant Enemy did the same thing with Firefly: presenting a bunch of episodes that could be aired in any order and following them with arc-heavy episodes. Hopefully we'll get to see some arc stuff before Miracles gets cancelled.

James Dailey

Auditioning
I like the show and think it has great potential, and they shouldn't be afraid to make the show one long continuing arc. Shows like the one last night, while oaky and entertaining, won't retain or gain new viewers. Now next weeks show looks like a promising show, and is something more along the lines of what they should be doing.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Argh! I forgot to watch it last night! That's what trying to keep a newborn asleep does to a guy! What's the promo for next week show?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
This weeks's episode was a little too "X-Files" for me, but next week's ep looks promising. Question, is it just me, or was the preview for next's weeks ep the same preview that we got the previous week? Did ABC decide to do some shuffling, or am I misremembering.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I hope it makes it. They could polish it a bit more and make it the next The X-Files, but they need more scares or creepy episodes.

Up-class it more(like The Exorcist and The Omen mixed with the drama of The Sixth Sense), and you have a winner (the pilot episode was not too shabby)!

Dan

P.S. I just don't have much faith in the network environment anymore. Today if The X-Files was just starting it would have been canceled after two or three episodes without giving it a chance.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I have to say, I was intregued by the show's promos, and really enjoyed the first episode for its originality, it's incredibly dark tone and style and a sheer lack of understanding for what was going on. However, when they introduced the "professionals" who seem to know everything about anything, the show just lost it for me. It ceased being interesting... the terror from the first show was in the haunting images, the idea that there was something big going on that we just couldn't comprehend...

But, for instance the episode about the dissapearing plane, or the possessed quadraplegic... instantly, it was understood what was going on, and the show lost its ominous feel. It has turned into the X-Files, it would seem, and not the horror show it had the potential to become.

todd stone

Screenwriter
"According to ABC's website, yes. It's a fantastic episode. "

did ABC say it's a fantastic episode, or have you seen it...?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Today's Futon Critic mentioned that the show (and Veritas) will get the boot if the ratings do not improve the day after Oscars, when they will promote it. I guess that depends on both the Oscars and the regular Monday lineup not being preempted.

//Ken

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
If war coverage is dominating, I doubt the ratings for the Oscars will be that good, so I can't see it helping much with the Monday night ratings. And saying that they have one last chance to bring in ratings seems pretty unfair to me, considering how many episodes have actually aired in the last 2 months. If ABC is wondering why the ratings are so bad, maybe they should consider that the constant pre-emption has something to do with it. After all, the ratings started out decent and went down from there.

I'm beginning to fear that at some poin we're just going to have to face the fact that the majority of Americans actually seem to prefer tasteless reality programming to scripted drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks