What's new

Is Mazinkaiser available on DVD anywhere in the world? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Recently, my brother got ahold of VCD versions of the anime series Mazinkaiser, an updated pseudo-sequel to Go Nagai's Mazinger franchise, and I was wondering if this awesome series (5 OVAs that I know of) is out on DVD, be it in America, Europe,or Asia.
For those who don't know, Mazinkaiser is essentially a more modern version of Mazinger, which Koji starts to pilot after Baron Ashura steals the original Mazinger, and Grand Mazinger is nearly destroyed. It's sort of an alternate continuity, since both Dr. Hell and Baron Ashura are alive and well in it, and the Institute is protected by both Mazinger AND Grand Mazinger. Koji, Sayaka, Shiro, and Boss live alongside Tetsuya and Jun. Prof. Yumi, Sawachi, Nosori, and Mori-Mori are there too. It's actually great to see both casts blend like this :D The tone is more irreverent than in the original series, featuring things such as a thong-clad Boss landing on Ashura's face, or *drool* Sayaka going accidentally topless. The animation is more cartoony than the Go Nagai shows, but it also has a darker edge to it. It's amazing.
Anyway, help out a new fan? I've only had these discs for two days, and I can't get enough of it :D

Rolando

Screenwriter
Actually I would love to know if Mazinger is available anywhere on DVD. This is the series that came to North America as Tranzor-Z right?

PLEASE TELL ME I CAN GET THIS IN SEASONS!!!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yep, Tranzor-Z is the American name Mazinger-Z received. I haven't had any luck finding it on DVD, sadly. I have seen VCDs and Laserdiscs, though. But I don't think it's the regular series, just the OVAs. I know Mazinger vs. the Dark General is on LD, and I've seen a bootleg of it on VCD that is actually widescreen.

But if you want the original TV shows (about 94 episodesof Mazinger, and 50-something episdoes of Grand Mazinger) there are no official releases that I know of. I still have my OLD Beta tapes from when it aired in my country in the early 80s. I'm thinking of burning them to disc until the copyright holders wise up and release them on DVD.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Sorry but what is OVA? And is the a diff between Mazinger and Mazinge Z? I guess the question is can someone explain the series and all it's incarnations to me like I was 4 years old. All I know is I saw Tranzor Z and LOVED IT!!!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The original series WAS Mazinger Z
OVA=Direct to video
Official releases were made to LD in Japan, and the Mazinger Z movies were issued on DVD in a limited box set you may or may not be able to find (don't try Ebay, you have no idea what you're getting) for the first time in their 2.35:1 glory.
CD Japan's Mazinger listings
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html...r&restrict=ALL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks