Is matching impedance betw. speaker & receiver important?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Levane, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Michael Levane

Michael Levane Auditioning

I'm trying to match a receiver that has an impedance of 8 ohms, with a pair of speakers set for 6 ohms. Will this cause problems or decrease in performance? Your advice would be so helpful. Thanks.

Michael

(Receiver: Nakamichi RE-10, Speakers: Yamaha NS-a100xt)

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Should be ok.

Ohm is a measure of resistance, and in the case of a receiver expecting a 8ohm load, it will supply more juice to a 6ohm or 4 ohm speaker. In some cases, amps approved for 8ohms have serious problems with 4 ohm loads (to the point of causing damage)-- but 99% of the time a 6ohm speaker on an amp expecting an 8ohm load is fine.

-Vince

3. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

i have a kenwood receiver and i have 8 ohm main speakers hooked up and 6 ohm surrounds. everything works okay at normal levels. when i turn my volume control up to about 3/4 , i know the amp is drawing to much current because it shuts down and goes into protection mode ( this only happens when listening tomusic because I like to crank it). i alleviated this with my old receiver by wiring the speakers in series to increase the total impedance. with this new receiver i got if i want to listen to music that loud i will shut the surrounds off and i can crank it.