What's new

Is matching impedance betw. speaker & receiver important? (1 Viewer)

Michael Levane

Auditioning
I'm trying to match a receiver that has an impedance of 8 ohms, with a pair of speakers set for 6 ohms. Will this cause problems or decrease in performance? Your advice would be so helpful. Thanks.

Michael

(Receiver: Nakamichi RE-10, Speakers: Yamaha NS-a100xt)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Should be ok.

Ohm is a measure of resistance, and in the case of a receiver expecting a 8ohm load, it will supply more juice to a 6ohm or 4 ohm speaker. In some cases, amps approved for 8ohms have serious problems with 4 ohm loads (to the point of causing damage)-- but 99% of the time a 6ohm speaker on an amp expecting an 8ohm load is fine.

-Vince

jeff cr

Agent
i have a kenwood receiver and i have 8 ohm main speakers hooked up and 6 ohm surrounds. everything works okay at normal levels. when i turn my volume control up to about 3/4 , i know the amp is drawing to much current because it shuts down and goes into protection mode ( this only happens when listening tomusic because I like to crank it). i alleviated this with my old receiver by wiring the speakers in series to increase the total impedance. with this new receiver i got if i want to listen to music that loud i will shut the surrounds off and i can crank it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks