What's new

Is LCD RPTV technology mature enough (1 Viewer)

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I am wondering if people here think that LCD RPTV technology is mature enough or is better to stay with time proven CRT RPTV considering that LCD is a lot more expensive.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Depends on what you intend to use the set for. If it's gonna see lots and lots of video game use--say 40% or more and you also need to have a very bright display to compete with ambient light in a room with a glass wall, then LCD would be a good choice to avoid potential burn-in. Otherwise crt is better picture for lots less money.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was recently faced with this decision.
I had 4k to spend on a set and I could do one of the following:

1. Buy a 56" Samsung DLP
2. Buy a 60" Sony Grand Wega III LCD
3. Buy a 55" Typical CRT set and put the $2200 towards my audio system.

I was leaning hard on the Sony Wega's but the picture never was right to me. The black level was the prime issue that really really really bugged me. LCD and DLP have a couple of things that are really nice. They are 720p native which is good for video games and they are exceptional when you have lots of ambient light in the room. They are lighter as well.

My room is light controlled so the ambient light issue isn't one.

That said the 200+ page threads about problems with their LCDs and DLP's REALLY REALLY REALLY scared me. I wasn't willing to live with the issues that currently plague the LCD and DLP market. For the comman person they might not be that big but to me they are huge.

LCD is NOT Mature enough to take a stab at one unless you want to look at FPTV. DLP is getting there and I'd say they are atleast 2 years away at this point. I have a strong feeling that DLP will probably be the top thing in a few years with LCOS very close.

Personally I'd pocket the savings and buy yourself other upgrades and also buy a nice large set.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I keep going to my local dealers (I know they don't have them set up right) to check out the latest and greatest in the DLP/LCD markets and they just don't justify the extra expence over CRT at their present levels.

With the addition to the newer model CRT RPTVs having such things as built in HiDef tuners and far better pictures when it comes to SDTV than LCD or DLP (to my eyes) I would suggest spending a lot less on a bigger set with more features in a CRT type RPTV and wait for the technologies in both LCD and DLP to mature that much more.

Either that or wait for the newer HD2+ units from Samsung, Infocus and so forth that are coming out in the 2nd quarter or 3rd quarter of this year. The new Infocus is going to only be 6.5 inches thick. Not bad for a RPTV. Now if the picture lives up to everyday applications this may just be the model that makes me go out and buy one. These model ofcourse are going to be even more expensive though.

Parker

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I just did and I'm very happy but its making me into a picky videophile now. A poor dvd looks poor on a big HDTV set. WHat discs I used to think were top shelf are not longer that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks