What's new

Is "Laura" No Longer Available to Order? DVD Empire Thinks So! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
We have just been informed by our distributors
that the title 'Laura' is no
longer available.

It has been removed from your order. The remainder
of your order will be processed normally. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I received this from DVD Empire. I have not checked other sites yet. Is this true. I pray it isn't true.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Jeff, you beat me to it. I got this e-mail from DVD Empire just now. In addition, they are saying The Ox-Bow Incident has been moved from 12/2 up to Laura's 11/4 release date.

Anybody have any idea what's going on with these Fox Studio Classic releases??

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has not taken it down yet, but I'm not going to hold my breath. At least I still have my Laserdisc of "Laura". This is going to be a BITTER shame if this is a permanent cancellation. I sincerely hope that it is just a delay for some good reason.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Hello all,
Got this e-mail from DVDEmpire:
"Fox has just notified us that they have cancelled the 11/4/2003
release of "Laura." The title has been removed from the schedule and
replaced with the "Ox-Bow Incident" which will be moved from 12/2/2003 and
will now street on 11/4/2003.

Our apologies
DVD Empire"

Anyone know anymore about this? Will it be rescheduled or is there no news on any future release? I was really looking forward to this classic.:frowning:

Todd

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
God I hope not. By far the best of the upcoming Fox classics, it would really suck to see this one pulled. :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I already started a thread about this. Use the search function. Please merge these threads.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
As several people have already stated, this is one of the cornerstones of the Fox Classics library. I highly doubt that they would cancel this title.

It is most likely that new source material or supplemental material showed up and they're going to push it back.

This is what happened to "The Grapes of Wrath" which is rumored to be out early next year. It also might be a strategic move, to hold one of the prominent titles over to next year, since there has been some talk about what the big titles are going to be for next year.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well we won't know for sure until there is some sort of official anouncement. The faster FOX issues an anouncement, the less speculating there will be.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Do you have hard evidence that you can display that proves it is just a delay & not a complete cancellation?
Hard evidence, no, but it´s scheduled to be released in Brazil by Fox in November.

Fox released a lot of their classic titles here first, and then in the USA.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
but it´s scheduled to be released in Brazil by Fox in November. Fox released a lot of their classic titles here first, and then in the USA
Is this to be the same "Studio Classics" version of "Laura"? If so, then I have no problem with sending my $$$ to another country. It will be R1's loss. I bought a Japanese R2 version of "The Enemy Below" when FOX canceled that R1 release. I'll do the same here if I have to to get my hands on it in a "Studio Classics" version. If it is not a "Studio Classics" version with extras, I'll just stick with my Laserdisc of "Laura". :frowning:

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Is this to be the same "Studio Classics" version of "Laura"?
Can´t say for sure. But I suppose so, cause 99% of the brazilian releases of Fox titles are exactly like the R1 ones. It will probably be an NTSC R4 release. If your equipment can play it, fine.

BUT

I suggest you to wait a little more for the R1 version. It will come, my friend. It sure will.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :angry: This is truly sad. Why oh why did it have to be this title? Deepdiscountdvd.com didn't notify me yet but I don't hold too much hope.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
According to Amazon:

This item will be released on November 4, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

(edit)

Oops. Sorry. I was under the impression that Laura was going to be released OCTOBER 4, 2003.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Relax everyone, nothing's been confirmed either way yet.

I'd bet DVD Empire have just got their dates/facts mixed up. Fox wouldn't pull the plug on such a long-awaited title...would they?

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Major bummer. If DVD Empire goofed, it would be a pretty huge one.....

I can only assume I'll be watching my VHS copy for the forseeable future.

nuts.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Relax everyone, nothing's been confirmed either way yet. I'd bet DVD Empire have just got their dates/facts mixed up. Fox wouldn't pull the plug on such a long-awaited title...would they?
I received the same sort of email from DVD Empire when "The Enemy Below" was canceled. DVD Empire had this available for pre-order for many months, so I doubt it is a dates mix up. Whether or not they misinterpreted a communication that FOX may have sent them is another matter.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I remember years ago there was some contractural problems to do with music in the film. Can't remember anymore than that as it was about 10-15 years ago (well before DVD). Maybe this issue has raised its head again?

Or maybe there is a quality control issue as with "The 300 Spartans" and it has been put back till a later date.

Or maybe there are some new extras/ better elements which are now to be used.

This classic Gene Tierney film is a wonderful example of 1940s film noir as released by 20th Century Fox and I just hope Peter Staddon at Fox is reading this, so he can put us all out of our misery???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks