Is Kenwood Good? (versus Onkyo)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

I am leaning twards a kenwood VR-510 over an Onkyo 595...

why? don't totally know... All I know is that they both seem pretty equal... and the kenwood has more features for $40 more... Not to mention is THX certified...

Anyone know WHY I SHOULDN"T buy a Kenwood over a Onkyo?

Should I reconcider seeing I don't need component Video at this time... And everyone keeps telling me that THX is ONLY a CERTIFICATION, And that Certification is paid for by Kenwood.. So, onkyo might be THX certified... But they didn't want to Pay for it on the 595...

HELP!!!

They both sound pretty clean!!!

The Onkyo seems like it Might have more bass...

Thanks!!!

Bill

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I think that either one of them is fine however Onkyo is generally considered a better receiver because of its build quality and nice,clean sound.Personnally,I have Harmon Kardon and love it but before I committed to H/K I gave quite a bit of thought and research to Onkyo and Denon.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Kenwood paid more for the THX certification that doens't mean a thing unless your whole system is THX certified. Receiver, speakers, and sub included. If the Kenwood has 25 DSP modes and the Onkyo only 10, what will it matter if you never will use any of them? If the Kenwood has preouts and the Onkyo doesn't, then the choice is obvious. Go with the Kenwood as it will offer a clear upgrade path. If the Onkyo is heavier than the Kenwood and you do not need as many DSP modes, get the Onkyo. If you want preouts but do not want the Onkyo and don't want to pay extra for THX certification, look at the Denon AVR-1802.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely right...Plan now for the future.If your plans include adding additional amplifiers at some point then you will have to go with something with pre-outs for amps...all channels would be ideal but as the previous post said in order for you to enjoy the benefits of THX then you must have a 7.1 set-up versus current 5.1 applications.Is it worth it? Well,that is a matter of how much you would be willing to spend but it ain't cheap.Regards...

5. Bill Johnston

Well, then if I do end up with the Kenwood... Would it make more sence to drop down to the 509 if my speakers that i'm buying ARE NOT THX certified? the only differance between the two are 10 watts and THX and Pre-outs for ALL the channels... I know that the 509 has 1 or 2 pre outs... but... maybe that doesn't matter...

Like I said...

Yes, the Onkyo is heavier... But... they both seen to sound just as good... so maybe, seeing I have a strong 10 year old Kenwood 6010... I should just stick to what I know seems to be good...

Now... who seems to have the better DVD player? Kenwood or Onkyo? That might help my decision...

Thankst!

Bill

6. ColinW

ColinW Agent

I am using a Kenwood VR509 and I am very happy with it. I was considering the next step up to the THX model, but the rest of my system doesn't fit the spec for THX and I am not wanting to upgrade everything right now.

I would think you will be happy with the Kenwood fo the price. It seems to offer a lot for a relatively low price.

Colin

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Its hard for us to judge kenwood vs onyko when the newer high end kenwoods offer a lot more then some of the products they have put out in past. Thats not to say that kenwoods previous receivers were junk but that generally speaking I think most people would give the nod to any onyko. Anyway what is in the past is in the past and we should judge these new receivers on their own merrit. Having not heard either I won't say which I'd pick but all things being equal go for the one that offers the most useable features and offers an upgrade path. THX will help if there's a THX mode that you can apply over DD 5.1 etc since its not just about the hard ware requirements.

As for the DVD player don't buy a kenwood or onyko just beacuse they are from the same brand as the receiver you pick. Generally speaking those that make a great DVD player may or may not make good receivers. Do you need progressive scan? DVD-A or SACD? is this going to be your CD player as well? Anwser those questions and we'll better be able to suggest a suitable DVD player.

8. Bill Johnston

Hmmmmmm... I was looking @ the Onkyo DV-C503 DVD player.. And the Kenwood DV505... These are both 5 dvd changers...

I plan on moving my Old Kenwood Reciever, CD, Tape and EQ into my basement so basicly this DVD player needs to work for both my DVD player, and Audio CD Player... My 32" Toshiba (2 years old) doesn't have component video... So, I don't think I need progressive scan... MP3's are cool, but I don't have a collection of them, but maybe it would be nice to have 5 hours of music @ low volume at a party... But, still, I don't know if it's worth it...

Thanks!

Bill

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

BryanZ,

Sorry but I totaly disagree with your assesment of THX.

THX Certification pertaining to speakers and cable are nothing

more than "performance benchmarks" which can easily be met

or exceeded by a non THX Certified Speaker or Cable.

Pertaining to THX Certified Ulta or Select Receivers or

Seperates, THX Certification is more than a performance

benchmark, the THX-EX Post Processing is a highly beneficial

addition to the Processing output of said Receiver.

You CAN have a home theater that toataly meets THX

requirements witout using THX Certified cables and speakers

IMHO.

10. Bill Johnston

So, in all reality... If I ended up getting either the Kenwood VR-509 or the THX certified VR-510 or even the Onkyo TX-595 (which doens't have component video or pre-outs).... That technicall if I get a NON THX certified DVD player... Or my Jamo A310.ADD.3 speakers which ARE NOT THX certified... and just get some hi-end speaker cabling that IS NOT THX certified... That my system MIGHT sound JUST AS GOOD as somone that has THX certified system (Reciever, Speakers, Wire, DVD, Etc)...

So, really Kenwoods VR-510 that is just THX and not Ultra is kind of the old THX technology... so, I might really just do fine with a VR-509 and my nice speakers... and pocket the differnece for my next system...?

Thanks again!

Bill

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Bill,

There is no "older" THX Technology. There are 2 distinct

THX Processing Formats which are THX Select and THX Ultra.

THX Select is intended for small to moderate sized home

theaters. THX Ulta was designed for moderate to large sized

home or commercial theaters.

Yes I beleive that a quality system is a quality system

THX logo or not.. THX as a "benchmark" doesn't mean much to

me. But the THX Processing option on THX Certified Receivers

and Serperates is of great usefulness IMHO.

There is a big diffrence between just having the logo on the

product, and actualy having that logo do something..

A good THX Receiver with good speakers and adequate cabling

and proper speaker positioning will net you the results you

are after.

If you really want to get technical, To be TRUE THX not only

must every component be certified (Seperates or Receiver,DVD

Player,Cables,Interconnects) but also the room must meet

certain criteria that most of our homes never will. I say

don't sweat the small stuff.

And look for the receiver that

best suits you.. The list of features that you feel you want

and need. And look to the future leave yourseld headroom. You

don't want to build yourseld into a corner by choosing the

wrong Receiver. I also have to add that you can't get too

overzealous otherwise you will "look" for a looong time.

Remember there is no "perfect" anything.. And eventualy even

the most upgradeable components will become outdated. Tis the

nature of the beast.

12. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I just read the other day that THX speakers must be able to reproduce high frequencies up to, I think, I'm not positive 25,000 hz (25khz).And it could have been 100khz. But there is a minimum that speakers, receivers/amps, subs must be capable of to be THX certified.

The receiver should be rated 20 - 100,000 hz(100khz)

Brett is right, a non THX certified system could sound as good as a THX certified system.

But if all your components are THX certified, then you are assured you have the capability to hear the movie according to THX standards. The THX re-eq mode on a THX receiver, takes the sound and tries to make it sound just like a theater.(as far as I can tell it takes some of the brightness and harshness out of movie soundtracks).My system is not THX certified and I think it sounds spectacular.

Now you could have a full THX component set up and still sound lousy because of acoustics, room modes, room shape, etc.

I think room acoustics, speaker placement, sub placement, proper calibration would be more important than having THX certified stuff.Now if you have a perfect room, then you probably could benefit from having a complete THX setup.

I have heard that THX certified speakers can sound spectacular for movies, but not sound so good for music.

THX certification is for movie soundtrack reproduction and not for music.

13. JackTripper

JackTripper Auditioning

I have the Kenwood 509 and LOVE it! It is an amazing receiver for the price. In fact, there is nothing "cheap" about it except for the price! It has tons of features only found in $1000 receivers.

I compared it to many other receiver like Onkyo, Denon and Yahama and the Kenwood sounded just as good. The DD/DTS absolutely blew me away and the DPLII is a nice bonus as well.

Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for an Onkyo. I know many people still think Onkyo is "a better receiver" but Kenwood has certainly gained my respect with this receiver. I just couldn't bring myself to pay MORE for an Onkyo just for the brand name, especially when it had LESS features than the Kenwood.