Is Kazaa Lite worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Varto, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

With all the spyware loaded from Kazaa, I decided to give Kazaa Lite a whirl - the problem is, it's $20 a year or $40 for a "lifetime" membership. Is it worth the money?

Also, I found a program on www.cnet.com called Diet-Kazaa. Has anyone used that? If so, how does it work? Do you install Kazaa first and then Diet K or Diet K all by itself?

Thanks!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Kazaa Lite doesnt cost anything. And its also not being supported anymore, so many of the links have been taken off.
    Kazaa Lite is the spyware-free version of Kazaa, which you have to pay for.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Umm, I think Kazaa Lite K++ (which was "touted" as the best version of KL) is being sued, where as all the other Kazaa Lites (there are many) are still free for downloading. At least thats the impression I got from reading this ZDNet News story

In any case, it should still be free. It's shady business having to pay for Kazaa... try out diet kazaa from cnet/download.com It's the same thing as the different versions of Kazaa Lite, except it's makers wanted to be even more original!

I actually haven't tried the Diet Kazaa, I have KL, but I've had it for a few months so I'm not sure how hard it is to get now.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

On a side note, does anyone else find it ironic that Kazaa's creators are suing someone for stealing their programming and giving it to people for free (ad-free anyway). Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Diet is not the same as lite, you have to actually install the spyware version on your machine, and diet supposedly strips it out and patches the software... but I'm not willing to install it first.

There are many installers of K++ out there if you know where to look, Kazaa lite is not a pay service, so whatever link you followed is a scam to make money off of people who don't know any better. However, Fasttrack is shifting all the fasttrack clients (Kazaa) to FT2, so the old K++ clients will soon be left alone on the FT1 network, which will be shut down...

-Vince

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Bah! Bittersweet news Vince. I guess the question now is is eMule or WinMX the better P2P program?

Disclaimer: I use iTunes/MM for music, K++ for things like car vids and grabbing game demos if there is a bandwidth shortage.

*Cough*

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Bless you Scott.

I actually caught that exact, ummm, cold earlier today. What a small world. Since I got DSL this past weekend I wanted to make sure I would now be getting my speed's worth.

That Mr. Rose fella seems a little too excited when he explains the advantages of the K++ as he puts it. Watching him talk about it actually made me weary of wether it was an actual show or just some kind of informercial.

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Kevin Rose is very enthusiastic, I'll give you that. But I watch The Screen Savers every day on Tech TV and I can assure you that it and Mr. Rose are both legitimate.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Yet someone else who assumes that all downloads through file sharing are illegal. [​IMG] Their lawsuit is primarily symbolic about the hypocrisy in the industries that are upset about their products. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, so I'll leave it be.

EDIT: Grammatical correction. [​IMG]

10. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I used Diet Kazaa - the problem is, when you run ad-aware or spybot, it finds certain "spyware" programs that are necessary to run Kazaa. If you delete these certain programs, Kazaa is then rendered useless.

11. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

Do a search online for Kazaa Lite Resurection. It's exactle the same as kazaa lite with a few inhancements being supported by someone different. And yes, it's free. [​IMG]