Is JVC still the way to go for VHS/SVHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I recall that the 3600u/7600u/9600 series of SVHS machines from JVC were very popular a few years back. I'm thinking about adding VHS playback to the HT, and wanted to get a decent VHS/SVHS machine-- and wondered if the current models from JVC were as popular and high-quality as their previous cousins.

I'm specifically seeking SVHS compatibility (and Svideo output)-- and a real good tuner. I recall the JVC 7600u was very well regarded for it's cable tuning ability.

Does anyone know what the consensus is on current, good quality SVHS vcrs, and specifically which might have a good tuner section.

-Vince

2. Jeff-

Jeff- Extra

I shopped for the cheapest SVHS I could find last year. My reasoning being I would only use it for archiving until I could afford a recordable DVD.

I ended up going with a Phillips SVHS (sorry I can't remember the model right now) from Circuit City for around $120. It has turned out to be a good machine. It has this feature that records like SVHS on regular VHS that does make a noticeable difference.

Unfortunatly, the cable in New Orleans sucks, so the machine is displaying as good as the signal is being provided.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Vince, you should scour the planet and see if you can find a 9800 or 9900. The newest model deletes the anti-ghousting tuner and one other feature, maybe TimeScan? I think it's 9911, maybe? The 7000 series is extinct. They're hard to find. I'd buy the latest 9000 machine if you can't find one of the older models. The next current model down the line is the 5911 which atleast has a flying erase head but no TBC. Mitsu has 2 models, neither has a flying erase head. One of 'em has some advanced features for recording off satelte boxes and S-video pass-through.

Another choice would be to get JVC's D-VHS deck. It's the world's best S-VHS deck that also plays D-VHS tapes![​IMG] You ought to atleast consider it since their price has sliped down a bit. There's not so much to pick from anymore...Best wishes!

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I am using the GoVideo SDV-650 which is really a black JVC HR-S9800U and think it is very good. I bought it on uBid a year and a half ago at a great price. Picture quality is excellent for a consumer SVHS VCR in my opinion. Build quality seems fragile but that is the case with all recent consumer VCRs. No problems at all so far and I also have a JVC HR-S9500U I purchased about 4.5 years ago and it has been problem free. Just checked current deals and found the HR-S9900U on refurbdepot.com for $319.

Chris

5. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

I would look into the Mitsubishi.

6. Brad Van Eerden

Vann's was selling the Sony slv-r1000 for $500 bucks, but they are probably sold out by now.

7. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

The Sony SLV-R1000 is a superb high-end SVHS VCR. I returned a JVC9800 to buy the Sony instead ($1K for my R1000 at the time). $500 for a (new) SLV-R1000 is a steal!

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Dave,

A few years ago I would have agreed with you about Mits VCRs, but they have dropped all the high quality machines from their line and now only sell cheap junk VCRs.

I am still the proud owner of a Mits HSU-650, one of the finest S-VHS machines ever made. Talk about a beautiful comb filter! If the VCR part of the machine ever dies, I might still keep it around as a quality composite-to-S-video converter.

-Lyle J.P.

9. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Lyle,
    Sorry I have not been really up to date with VCR'S because I have no need for one anymore really. But I have Mit's VCR's 3 to be exact including the one you have. They were the only VCR's i would buy. One is the old HSU 48 and the other HSU 560, and the one you have. My CP monitor is a Mit's,I have a Mit's Sat box SRSD100,35" Mit's TV and a 65" Mit's Diamond.I am a big Mit's fan. But I would never buy a Mit's DVD player, Speakers or receivers.I quess the VCR's went out the window.

10. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, the selection of VHS decks have slimmed down recently. I have been a fan of the JVC S-VHS decks for a while. Having 2 Dish Network satellite receivers, connected with and using good quality tapes, I have gotten very good quality recordings. As far as pricing, I have found that www.bhphotovideo.com has great prices on their complete line of decks. Hope this helps!