Is John Sayles City Of Hope ever comming to DVD and WS?

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Put me down for one of these. One of the best films of the 90s and easily my favorite Sayles movie.

(help; help we need help)

Mark Cappelletty

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I met John Sayles at Amoeba Music in Hollywood last year when he was there as part of an event to plug SILVER CITY. I mentioned CITY OF HOPE and he said that he'd acquired the rights to this and MATEWAN to reissue them. But that was last September, and I haven't heard anything since.

The laser, I found out, was incorrectly labeled "Deluxe Widescreen Edition," which it deinitely is not.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
A 15th anniversery DVD in 2006 in its proper ratio, we can only hope.

My LD is also labled as Deluxe Widescreen Edition, which it deinitely is not. Just a fyi for anyone who sees a used LD at a pawn shop or on eBay, all the LD's were misslabled as Widescreen

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
This is all conjecture, so start collecting salt first.

Sayles reacquired rights to RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7, LIANNA, and BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET a few years back. He made a deal with IFC Films to reissue them in theatres, and in turn, IFC made a deal with MGM to release them on DVD. MATEWAN was actually part of the theatrical package as well, but MGM could not release that due to a preexisting deal Hallmark/Artisan held on the title, a deal which would appear to be over.

I strongly suspect that Sayles will probably sell both titles again to IFC. Now, IFC has made a new deal with the nascent Weinstein Company, so that may mean they could get the titles instead of MGM. But somehow, if I were a bettin' man, I would put my money that MGM will get these two as well and maybe even do a package promotion for the lot of them.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Huge John Sayles fan here. And, I've been wanting to see Sayles' City of Hope (1991) ever since I got my first DVD player in the early 200X's. It's extremely disappointing that this apparently great movie has never made it's way to modern home video. I haven't even seen this available to stream anywhere.

I wonder what the hold-up is here?! Is the film too obscure to warrant a modern home video release?! And/or are there copyright/rights issues involved here that is preventing the film from being released?!

In any case, hopefully this will eventually make it's way to DVD/Blu. IMHO the Criterion label would be perfect for this film.

Real Name
Steven
I really like this movie, and never bought the laserdisc because it was pan and scan. Put me down for a first-day purchase of a widescreen edition - even if it's DVD and not Blu-Ray.

Reactions: The Drifter

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Still waiting to see City of Hope - I can't even find a decent stream of this film. It's a shame this film hasn't even hit regular DVD yet. However, now that Matewan has finally hit BD, here's hoping that will pave the way for this & other Sayles films to be released to physical media.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnorPSJ