Is John Sayles City Of Hope ever comming to DVD and WS?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dean L, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

So I can toss my pan and scam laserdisc.

2. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

I would buy an OAR DVD in a second.
    I wonder who owns it though...

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Put me down for one of these. One of the best films of the 90s and easily my favorite Sayles movie.

(help; help we need help)

4. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I met John Sayles at Amoeba Music in Hollywood last year when he was there as part of an event to plug SILVER CITY. I mentioned CITY OF HOPE and he said that he'd acquired the rights to this and MATEWAN to reissue them. But that was last September, and I haven't heard anything since.

The laser, I found out, was incorrectly labeled "Deluxe Widescreen Edition," which it deinitely is not.

5. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

A 15th anniversery DVD in 2006 in its proper ratio, we can only hope.

My LD is also labled as Deluxe Widescreen Edition, which it deinitely is not. Just a fyi for anyone who sees a used LD at a pawn shop or on eBay, all the LD's were misslabled as Widescreen [​IMG]

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

This is all conjecture, so start collecting salt first.

Sayles reacquired rights to RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7, LIANNA, and BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET a few years back. He made a deal with IFC Films to reissue them in theatres, and in turn, IFC made a deal with MGM to release them on DVD. MATEWAN was actually part of the theatrical package as well, but MGM could not release that due to a preexisting deal Hallmark/Artisan held on the title, a deal which would appear to be over.

I strongly suspect that Sayles will probably sell both titles again to IFC. Now, IFC has made a new deal with the nascent Weinstein Company, so that may mean they could get the titles instead of MGM. But somehow, if I were a bettin' man, I would put my money that MGM will get these two as well and maybe even do a package promotion for the lot of them.