What's new

Is jdbgmgr.exe a virus? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend told me they got an e-mail saying it was a virus, but I can't delete it from my computer so it will stay gone. Can someone confirm if it is a virus? How do I get rid of it if it is?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Unless your friends are legitimate computer professionals, take whatever they say with a grain of salt. One person I know told me about this so-called "virus" before I've actually heard of it. I did my researched and confirmed it was a hoax. Unfortunately, he had already deleted the file from his hard drive before I had the chance to warn him! :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The jdbgmgr.exe hoax was pretty common last year. The file itself is part of the Java debugger in Windows, so if you delete it some Java features won't work.

Note that if you find the file in your Windows/System folder, it's not a virus, but if you receive it in an email attachment, it is likely infected. I've seen this firsthand--some viruses such as Magistr or Efortune can infect jdbgmgr.exe and email it out.

KJP

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
No need to fear, Morgan. It is not a virus. In fact, it is a Windows system file. It is only a hoax. It is sort of like the SULFNBK.EXE scare. It isn't that important of a file, however. Check out the information at the Symantec Anti-virus Research Center.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Ya, my wifes parents got that last year. Before they could talk to me they deleted the file, and sent the e-mail to everyone in there address book. I got a good laugh from it. :D Now they ask me before they do anything like that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.