What's new

Is "Jap" offensive (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
This was a recent tangent on a post that got closed today and I just wanted to see some peoples reactions. Im not trying to upset anyone but I had to ask.

These were comments that I read that made me make this post:
Never in my 59+ yrs. have I ever heard/read this term as being derogatory.
Please give your opinions.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd say "Jap" is as offensive as any other ethnic label. Of course, a lot of offense is derived from context. Being half-Hispanic, I get a bit of ethnic-related ribbing from my co-workers and friends. Now, I know that none of these people are prejudiced, so the things they say don't bother me. Heck, I make my share of ethnic jokes. However, there are people out there who use ethnic labels because they ARE prejudiced. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter someone like that...

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how the word Jap could be offensive, as it is merely an abbreviated form of Japanese, rather than a slur.

If Jap is offensive then the word Japanese must also be offensive...no?

Is Scot offensive (abbreviation of Scottish)?

Aussie? (Australian)

Yank? (American)

Canuck? (Canadian)

Arab? (Arabian)

Brit? (British)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the context.

In an early 40's film, probably not. Today as a short-hand for Japanese, almost certainly.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely, it's offensive. I have had too many friends and colleagues of Japanese descent tell me that it offends them.

It's not quite the same as those nicknames that are used affectionately, as in "yank" or "limey" or "Aussie."

Also, recall that "Jap" was used here in the U.S. for four solid years (1941-45) as a pejorative.

Finally, if one must ask, then one should conclude that some persons would find the word offensive.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how the word Jap could be offensive, as it is merely an abbreviated form of Japanese, rather than a slur.

Sorry, but it's not so cut and dry. Some examples of shortened/modified names that are considered offensive:

Chink

Heb

Jap

Polack

I'm personally not easily offended and if someone used these words out of ignorance that's one thing, but the Archie Bunkers of this world use these words in an offensive way.

That of course is no excuse for censorship (where is Bugs Nips the Nips?) and even the most offensive racial slurs should be allowed in the context of art (Nigger in the miniseries Roots and in the song Woman is the Nigger of the World).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

One of the most offensive slurs for Asians, "gook", is an abbreviation as well. It was first used during the Korean War. It comes from Han-Kook, the Korean name for the Republic of Korea. The term then became widespread when the US got involved in Vietnam.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
It's not quite the same as those nicknames that are used affectionately, as in "yank" or "limey" or "Aussie."
If that is indeed the case, just what IS the affectionate/short-form word for someone of Japanese origin?

I have heard both Japanese and Polish people refer to themselves as Japs and Polacks (in conversation with mixed company, including myself) and have never been told that they might be offensive, nor did I ever intend them to be.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
For all the people that think "Jap" is not offensive, let me ask you this. Would you walk up to a stranger that appears to be of Japanese ancestry and say, "Is your mother a Jap?" Oh course you wouldn't. (I hope) Why? Becuase that would be offensive. "Jap" carries derogatory overtones.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
If that is indeed the case, just what IS the affectionate/short-form word for someone of Japanese origin?
how about friend? buddy? pal? now ethic slurs get tossed around often amongst close friends but i would dare say if your boss were of japanese decent, you wouldn't say "how are you doing today, jap!" i understand the point that geno makes since it on the surface may appear to be non-offensive. however, years worth of misuse as a derogatory barb have tainted the term. i seriously doubt it was ever used in a positive manner. think of it like this, the swastika pre-dates the nazi's by thousands of years and originally signified prosperity and good fortune...how many people do you see who fly swastika flags who aren't prejudice in some way? truly, a few bad apples....
kevin t

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Howard kind of nailed that one, I should say.

As for Japanese persons calling other Japanese by that name, that's altogether different. Same with an African American calling another African American by the "n" word--it's different in that case. All others need not apply.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Jane's Addiction put it best: "Nothing's Shocking".

Sincerely,

John "more often than not feels like he's the only person offended by these words anymore" Kilduff

RicP

Screenwriter
I have heard both Japanese and Polish people refer to themselves as Japs and Polacks (in conversation with mixed company, including myself)
I don't doubt you, but I speak Japanese, have been there a few times, and have many Japanese acquaintances and have never and I mean never heard anybody of Japanese decent refer to themselves or any others as "Japs"...Never.
They do use the term Gaijin though to refer to non-Japanese people. Sometimes it is used as a term or endearment, and sometimes it is used pejoratively.
As with any word or term...it's all in the context.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I have heard both Japanese and Polish people refer to themselves as Japs and Polacks (in conversation with mixed company, including myself) and have never been told that they might be offensive, nor did I ever intend them to be.
I have no idea who your hanging out with but the use of that term is highly offensive to Japanese people. I am of Chinese decent and wouldn't want to be called Chink. Half of my friends are Japanese and I've never heard any of them refer to themselves or other Japanese people as Japs. That's brutal!

Patrick

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I believe it's often used as a derogatory comment towards a person of Japanese descent. :thumbsdown:
Jon

Geno

Supporting Actor
I understand the point that geno makes since it on the surface may appear to be non-offensive.
Kevin, although I may have quoted some peolple who may not see "jap" as offensive, I think any word used to describe a group or someone by their nationality or race is racist and offensive. Now when my grandfather called people "colored" I would watch my mom cringe in horror at what he was saying. I just took it as the way he was brought up. He didnt mean anything by it but calling someone "colored" is offensive.

We do have this thing called "the first amendment" here in the USA and people are free to say what they want. It just shocked me to read that someone had never heard that "jap" was offensive. Goes to show how much propaganda this country put out during WWII. I would put it in the same category as "spik"nigger"chink"jew" or any racially slanted label.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
If "oriental" is now considered unacceptable(Asian being the preferred word),"Jap" most certainly is.

Ive always said, as long as it isnt meant in a mean or hurting way I dont have a problem with anythng someone says to me.I have a sense of humor and can most definitely laugh at myself.

Im half black and have a couple friends who will often say "Niggah" to me. "Daaaamn niggah" They would never call me a "Nigger" or say it to me in while voiceing anger because the tone is completely different and they know theyd be picking heir teeth up off the floor.

I think all people should be poud of who they are-theyre heritage,nationality,whatever,but I definitely believe laughing at or not taking yourself so seriously-it keeps you humble.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Does a bear sh*t in the woods? It may not be offensive to you, but there are many people that it is offensive to. So why not just avoid using it altogether.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Can't believe nobody mentioned this yet ... but during my high school days we used to refer to Jewish American Princesses as JAP.

It was still derogatory, but for some reason very widely used in those days (mid - late eighties).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks