Is it wrong of me to be upset about this?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James~P, Aug 22, 2003.

1. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

i'm more or less new to serious speaker shopping.

anyway, i'm in Tweeter listening to the bookshelves sitting in the chair for a little while, when in walks a salsemen with another customer, completely ignores the fact that i'm in the room, he turns the volume off, walks up to the speakers and starts chatting with the other customer about the Boston Acoustics.

i'm left sitting there in my chair, somewhat stunned as to what just transpired. i'm assuming its because i'm 16... no way do i have any money to spend [​IMG]

so i just leave, and go to a store down the road called "Audio ETC" where i got my Maranetz SR4200

this place completely made up for it. The person helping me had an obvious passion for Audio... we were looking at the stuff in my price range and he invites me into the theater room to show off some of the high end B&Ws and the Legacies, even though he knows i wouldnt buy them. We talked a bit.. he showed me some other stuff and answered ALL my questions. I left with a smile on my face.

one comment he made to me after i was telling him about my DIY sub was "I can tell this isnt going to be a short road you're walking *smile*"

I was enthralled with this service...

but that tweeter guy.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

oh well.

mmmmrant

2. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I'd find him and tell him. Point blank.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Better yet, write a cordial letter to the district management. Not only will the employee most likely get in trouble, which he clearly deserves, but often you'll get some kind of a coupon or gift card.

I remember that one time someone at Radio Shack gave me a load of BS regarding a dual receiver DirecTV configuration when I was looking at satellite. (He was firm that I'd need to buy a $79 installation kit for the second unit when all that I'd need is a $29 cable. This was also confirmed by a DirecTV representative that I called in the parking lot as soon as I left the store.) I wrote a nastygram to the corporate office in Texas and not only got a letter of apology from the district manager but also $20 in Radio Shack gift certificates.

Hey, if that punk can get in trouble and you can get something out of the deal, go for it!

4. James~P

i dont have his name though.. i didnt even take a good look at his face, i was way too angered.

its okay, i dont want to go in there again anyway [​IMG]

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Did he know you thinking of buying speakers. At my local Tweeter people often sit down in the Audio or Video rooms while the person they are with is looking at something or waiting in line. He may thought you where just someone sitting there waiting for someone else. In any case that is still kind of rude.

At the Tweeter I go to (Warwick locatation) the salespeople would probably ask you before just shutting the music off.

6. James~P

he really should have asked before shutting them off

7. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I think this experience clearly shows which store really wants your business. I would just stop going to Tweeter and give all my business to the other place.

The town I grew up in only had three or four places where you could get anything approaching serious gear. One place was a regional chain where the only way to get a salesman's attention was to started twiddling dials. The other place was an independent shop managed by someone who lived for audio. I had an experience there much like you described. I went in to buy some inexpensive speakers, told the guy exactly what I was looking for, but he still took the time to show me every piece of gear I expressed any interest in. Three hours later I walked out with my $100 pair of speakers having listened to everything from the $100 speakers to the $5000 speakers. The salesman knew the time he spent with me that day would pay off in the future.

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I wouldn't waste your time doing this, but if you saw the manager nearby when you were leaving the store then you should have told him that you were going to buy speakers, but his sales associate was very rude.

These managers get pissed at that, because their salaries and bonuses are reflected in how well their employees do.

But like I said, unless the manager is around then don't waste your time sitting there for 15 minutes to tell him.

10. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I've had this happen more times than I care to count, being ignored at least, and electronics stores seem to be the biggest offenders. Economic profiling.[​IMG] I think it's about the dumbest thing to do in retail. I've shown up at a hi-fi store a couple of times in a buisness suit, and everyone treats me like I'm the king of the world. Go back on the weekend in shorts and tee-shirt, and you can't get the time of day. (I almost started a thread on this myself a couple of weeks ago). These store owners wonder why everyone buys stuff online now! Constantly complaining "But we provide local friendly service". Bull. Web sites don't ignore me, or sell me overpriced service plans and monster cables, or keep me waiting 10 minutes while they check to see if they have something in stock, or have salesman who try to impress me with their expertise when the don't understand speaker sensitivity ratings.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's all about service. When i was heavy into car audio, one store lost a 10 grand sale because they ignored me. Turned out the store that I did buy the stuff from got about a third of it's customers that way.
    [​IMG]
    so no, it's not wrong for you to be upset. (If it happens again, just turn the volume back up, keep your hand on the control so they can't change it, and ignore the fact that the salesman is even in the room).[​IMG]

Stepping off of my soapbox now....

11. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have had this happen to. It happens at a lot of places. One time when I went to buy a vehicle all the salesman kinda ignored me because I'm young looking. I just turned 26 but look about 19-20. They didn't think I was serious about the car I wanted. I went to dealers until I found a salesman I was happy with. It also happened at a ht store. I bought a marantz 4300 and wanted to return it and get a 7300. They said we can't do that. I was like ok I lived with it for a month. Then I was like no I spent my $$$ on this so I'm going to get what I want. So I called and got the owners e-mail address. I e-mailed him and told him what happened. He was furious. He told the guy that did it to take care of me. That guy acted like nothing ever happened. He is a nice guy and knowledgeable about HT but because I looked young he thought that he could get away with not letting me return it. I really don't like to get people in trouble because I wouldn't want someone doing it to me but this was a exception. I got my 7300 though. So it happens often so don't feel bad.

12. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

" One time when I went to buy a vehicle all the salesman kinda ignored me because I'm young looking. I just turned 26 but look about 19-20. They didn't think I was serious about the car I wanted..."

Is this the 400hp camaro? No wonder he didn't think a 19 year old could afford it!

13. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Take the initiative and authority and confront him. Don't let anyone punk you.

14. David Preston

NicholasL that would be the one. Now when I go look at cars and pull up in the Camaro they can't ignore me. They hear me pull in the and everybody looks and comes up to the car asking can I help you. I have been to a couple dealers lately and now they treat me a little better. I am looking at a Corvette, Hummer H2 or a Tahoe. The salesman will make off pretty good with a sell off one of those. I hope they don't think I'm giving them the Camaro.

15. James~P

BLAH

don't buy an H2!

terrible visibility.. big clumsey things.

ugly as hell too.

16. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

At my local paradigm dealer the first time I went I was basically ignored. However, the second time I went a more friendly salesman was there. He saw me looking at some 'digms and I asked him about the Titans. He told me to bring in some cds some time and I could audition all the speakers I wanted. Mind you I was just a 17 year old in normal clothes. So I brought in my CDs and we listened to Atoms right up to Monitor 7s. He was very knowledgeable and even pointed out why similar models sound different(such as mini-monitors vs titans). Needless to say I was happy to buy from this guy, and I also bought my other Paradigms from him as well.

He way also surprisingly knowledgeable about DIY subs. I asked him why my Tempest would bottom out on subsonic notes and he asked all the right questions. What was the tuning? How much power etc... he explained to me how a driver when dirven below tuning acts like it is not enclosed without dumbing things down.

Overall, good experiences with my Paradigm dealer.

17. David Preston

I was all for a Tahoe at first but then when I heard that it don't get much better gas mileage than a H2 that's when I started considering one. Tahoes are much cheaper in price so I'll probably get one of those.

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

19. James~P

yea, it was a pair of Focus 20/20.

the bass was a little heavy for my liking, but that was on a Jazz recording... and the midrange and highend was so perfect it made up for the heaviness in the bass.

for only 6000 dollars? i was blow AWAY!

they'd make AWSOME ROCK SPEAKERS

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've worked at circuit city and good guys for a few years.

i agree with whoever said, if it's convenient, tell the management. but don't make a big effort, because it will mostly go ignored by management.

believe me, chain stores don't care about "little" (not to demean your experience...) complaints like this...especially from a teenager. if anything, the manager will probably give the salesguy a minor warning, then forget about it.

if you do get a chance to present your case, i would simply say, "i was ready to buy, but your salesman was rude and ignored me. so i went down the street and bought from there." if you really want to drive the point home, show them your receipt and how much you spent! [​IMG]

regarding "economic profiling" - that's just a salesperson being stupid. i can honestly say i tried to never do that when i sold. there were many great sales i made to the most unlikely customer.