What's new

Is it worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Hofstadonair

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Postema
Hi, My first post on HTF. I had a Pioneer receiver for a long, long time and I really wanted to update. So last week I bought these: - Marantz PM-8000 Class A amplifier, - Marantz DV-7600 DVD player with SACD, - Marantz ST-6000 tuner. Now I really want two new (or in good shape second hand) speakers. I love the Bowers & Wilkins CM7 and CM8. But is this particuler setup worth spending so much money on speakers?

Hofstadonair

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Postema
I hope it sounds well for you. But is this particuler setup that I have, worth spending so much money on Bowers & Wilkins CM7 of CM8?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Speakers are the most important part of your system. They should be the most expensive part too. Afterall, they are the sound. As long as you like their sound, no speakers are too expensive. Enjoy!

Hofstadonair

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Postema
I understand that speakers should be the most expensive part of your set up. But I'm scared that if I buy those Bowers & Wlkins CM7 of CM8 they won't be fully appreciated on my set up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what I can see the ST6000 is an AM/FM tuner only. It has Line-Outs for adding the amp but no inputs to connect the 7600 dvd player, or anything else for that matter. Marantz equipment of that vintage was classic Marantz audio. More than good enough for B&W and most any other speakers. In fact, those Marantz items might be wondering if those speaker are good enough for them :) .

Hofstadonair

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Postema
gene c said:
From what I can see the ST6000 is an AM/FM tuner only. It has Line-Outs for adding the amp but no inputs to connect the 7600 dvd player, or anything else for that matter. Marantz equipment of that vintage was classic Marantz audio. More than good enough for B&W and most any other speakers. In fact, those Marantz items might be wondering if those speaker are good enough for them :) .
Hi, thank you for your reply. I was stunned ready it because I had no idea this set up was good enough for Bowers & Wilkins. I just bought those products after listening to them at other people's home (because everything is second hand) and I just liked it. And I thought the prices were right (PM8000: 250 euros, DV7600: 130 euros and the ST6200: 80 euros). Everything was as new, no scratched or something else. And the PM8000 was just checked at the store where they replaced some parts. Any suggestions for what speakers would also be right for this set up?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I now see the PM8000 is an intergrated amplifier so you connect the 7600 dvd player to it. It specifically says to use 8-16 ohm speakers. Both the CM7 and CM8 are 8 ohm. But on the B&W website they show a frequency response of 62-22,000 hz and 69-22000 hz. That's not very deep for big ol' tower speakers. Since you most likely won't be using a subwoofer I'd want something that's listed more in the mid-30 hz range. But if you like them when you listen to them then that's all that matters. B&W's are very good speakers but kind of pricey IMO. But I'm also kind of cheap :blush: .

Hofstadonair

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Postema
gene c said:
I now see the PM8000 is an intergrated amplifier so you connect the 7600 dvd player to it. It specifically says to use 8-16 ohm speakers. Both the CM7 and CM8 are 8 ohm. But on the B&W website they show a frequency response of 62-22,000 hz and 69-22000 hz. That's not very deep for big ol' tower speakers. Since you most likely won't be using a subwoofer I'd want something that's listed more in the mid-30 hz range. But if you like them when you listen to them then that's all that matters. B&W's are very good speakers but kind of pricey IMO. But I'm also kind of cheap :blush: .
I can't connect a subwoofer tot this amplifier. It is stereo only. Thank you for the answers. I know now that I can spend big money on speakers :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you can connect a subwoofer. You might even have two options. Does the rear of that have pre out/in? (Could be marked line out/in, but regardless they would be right next to each other with jumpers) If you see that(rare for a early Marantz PM not to have it) remove the jumpers and you can find subs that crossover the line level and you can return the high pass back into this Marantz. If it doesn't have the pre out/in. You can still buy a sub with stereo high level high pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks