Is it worth returning my television for this geometry problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Chang, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

There's this weird geometry problem all along the top of the screen on my Panasonic 47wx42. Straight vertical lines will curve slightly, but with anything else it's not noticable. You also can't see it in the service menu convergence grids, so I can't really fix it.

I have a new tv being delivered tomorrow, but I really want to cancel it. I've put a lot of time into getting the picture perfect and it pretty much is, except for a little bleeding with blues, some minor blemishes on the screen, a bit too much overscan on the right side, and this problem at the top. I mean, I just don't want to get this new tv and find out it has more problems than this one. Does this geometry problem sound like a problem with the hardware or is it something I should be able to fix?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Chris,
    I believe this might be a fairly common problem for the Panny's from what I've seen here and over at the dedicated Panny forum (www.panny.tv). Nobody seems to know how to get rid of it completely although I think someone was able to reduce it somewhat.
    My 53" Panny has it also, but I find that I don't normally notice it since it's at the very top and I sit close enough (~8ft eyes-to-screen). It can be a little distracting sometimes, but I think I've gotten used to it. Sometimes, I wonder if my mind thinks it's worse than it really is like an optical illusion.
    Hmmm... Have you tried shifting the entire image up a little to push some/all of the bending/curving distortion off into the overscan area? Don't do too much, just as little as you find needed. Maybe that would work well enough as a compromise.
    _Man_

3. Chris Chang

Well, I cancelled the tv. But anyway, the area it happens is too large to push off screen (it's noticable 3" from the top), so I guess I'm just stuck with it. That kind of sucks. At least it's not noticable with 2.35:1 movies.

I am planning on getting it calibrated sometime during the middle or towards the end of this year. Hopefully the problem will be ironed out then.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    3" is a lot indeed. I think mine is only about an inch, and it's more like a bend than a curl. If I really want to, I can probably shift it into overscan area, but I prefer to keep the image centered w/ the 5% overscan.

Btw, when you did e-focus/m-focus, were you able to improve the focus horizontally?

I only tried e-focus so far, and that didn't seem to help much. It still left the horizontal focus rather fuzzy. I just used the Convergence 1 crosshair for this.

_Man_

5. Chris Chang

It's really a slight bend, not a curl, but it's very noticeable. I noticed it a lot while I was watching Signs today and, being a perfectionist, it really pisses me off.

I don't know what you mean by "horizontal" focus. Doing MFocus improved the picture a lot more than EFocus. I used the grid rather than the crosshairs.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    By "horizontal focus", I meant the focus along the horizontal/lateral direction. Say on a crosshair or grid, I find that I could not get good focus for the line along the Y axis. The X axis focuses pretty well.

Guess I'll have to try m-focus and see.

_Man_