What's new

Is it worth it to subscribe to Gamespy for multi-player games?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that you can pay a fee and subscribe to the Gamespy site to have access to good servers for your multi-player games? Anyone know about this and if it's all it's cracked up to be? What is the best way to find the fastest servers for games like Jedi Outcast and Global Operations? Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what you're refering to exactly.

Gamespy has 2 pieces of software for finding servers and people for games that don't use the server model. Their first was Gamespy3D which is dedicated mainly to first person shooter server finding (although a few other games are supported). It's a bit difficult to use at first, and can take some tweaking with the filters to get the results that you want

This program has been put by the wayside somewhat for Gamespy Arcade which supports a much larger selection of games, including parlor games such as checkers, hearts, chess etc, has more chat functions built, allows you to download demos, patches, surf the web, and start games the are peer to peer as well as find servers for games like Jedi Knight. I much prefer this program in most respects, mainly because you can quickly filter things out on the fly, and they have built in areas for popular mods, so you don't actually ping every server and then filter out the ones not running the mod you want to play.

Both are shareware and free to use, but Arcade has some annoying ads that you can turn off if you register, and Gamespy3D is not fully featured in the Shareware, but it is completely useable.

The in game browsers do work somewhat, but they usually suck.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its not much money, and as a registered owner of Gamespy 3D I get first access to the new versions, including the recently released build that supports the two games that you're interested in. So, yes, if thats what you want then go right ahead.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I can't stand gamespy. I hate the ads. I hate the slowness. I hate the information overload. I hate having to launch a separate app to find net games. And I hate that its so buggy. I don't need to know where my friends are. I'll pick up the phone and ask them. I don't need to have links to download stuff, thats what my web browser is for. But hey, if you like it then use it. But for my tastes all I want to see is a game list and me to click on it without taking anymore of my computers resources.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I hate Gamespy too. As Mike mentioned, the ads suck and I cannot stand their interface. I much prefer the "built-in" applications in most games over Gamespy.
I also agree that I don't want a separate application to play online...If I want to max my FPS I don't want my memory or CPU having to deal with yet another open app. Not that it even begins to tax my PC but the idea of Gamespy just gets to me.
So, my answer would be "no". :)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I have no problems running the software I mentioned above. I guess it depends on how limited your resources are.

Try that link, Brian. I use it all the time (mostly w/Urban Terror) without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks