What's new

Is it worth it to buy any floor model RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Ed Bud

Auditioning
My local WIZ store is closing and they are selling a Sony KPD-57XBR2, 57", HDTV floor model in excellent condition. The TV in question was manufactured September 2001, at the Sony plant in PA. Sony's suggested retail price was $5500, the WIZ original price tag was $3999.99, and currently they are selling it for $2450. I am aware that this is a 2001 model Sony TV, but I have read some great reviews on it.

What is your opinion regarding the purchase of a floor model RPTV? The WIZ is not offering any type of extended warranty or service plan since thier stores are all closing. Is there a third party company who will warranty a newly purchased RPTV?

Thanks.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I would never spend that kind of money on such a huge question mark of a purchase. Also, there are at least a dozen as good or better sets you could buy for less.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Ed,

I wouldn't do it.

Typically, floor models are set to "torch" mode with the "picture" level cranked all the way up and there will almost certainly be some level of burn-in.

As Hanson said, that's a lot of money to spend on such a question mark of a purchase.

There are many other brand-new sets you could get for much less.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Take into consideration that display models get left on for 10 to 12 hr per day every day of the week times who knowes how many days its been on display. The bad thing is I work at CC & have to sell (gulp) display models when new products come in but I would avoid them if I could.
I think the best bet is to leave the display TV's to J6P who doesn't care about picture quality much & just wonts a big TV. I don't care to see anyone walk out with a used set like this but some people will do anything to save a couple of bucks & the stores do have to get rid of them sooner or later.
When it comes down to it when your spending 3 grand is another 500 bucks or so really that big of a deal anymore? Not really for the piece of mind of knowing how the set has been used since it came out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks