Is it worth $2000?!!! How much better can it be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Jul 18, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

When it comes to dvd players what picture improvements will you see from one prog. player to the next? With exception of the chroma bug, how much better can the picture possibly be? What can a $2000+ dvd player show that a $200 can't?

Doesn't it boil down to display device?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

LaMarcus, the display has a lot to do with picture quality, but don't overlook the importance of the player. These days, even budget progressive-scan players are often excellent. However, "reference" players are better. You get what you pay for. That said, there is the law of diminishing returns. If we are talking about players from the same generation, a $2000 progressive-scan player will often out-do a $500 model, however, is the $2000 player four times better? Perhaps not. Still, the $2000 player is better. Also, the $2000 player is likely to be a much better audio component. In fact, the difference in audio performance is often greater than the difference in video performance when comparing a $2000 player to a $500 player.
    So, don't short-change the importance of the DVD player. This situation is akin to comparing CD players in audio. Sure, speakers have a tremendous effect on sound quality just as the display has a tremendous effect on picture quality. However, in audio, the CD player can greatly effect sound quality. Similarly, the DVD player can greatly effect picture quality. As they always say, a system is only as good as its weakest link. [​IMG]

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Okay Keith, I got cha. So I'm proably not missing out too much on pic quality to worry about upgrading then, okay cool.

4. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Here is an example-

I recently upgraded from a JVC XV-SA75 DVD player that has an excellent picture by most all accounts to a Yamaha DVD-CX1. The JVC is a $250 player, the Yammy retails for $1299. The difference in the picture is subtle (although the de-interlacing and video mode performance of the Yammy is far superior), but the biggest differences are found elsewhere. Like the audio performance. The JVC is a toy in comparison on both Redbook CD and DVD-audio. Even with both just used as a transport, the Yamaha is superior- both in CD playback and in movie surround sound. I also have owned the similar JVC model that features a 7-disc changer, and let me tell you- as far as changers go there is no comparison between it and the Yamaha (5 disc-changer.)

So, lots of things can be a little bit better. Maybe not much in some cases, but combined they can add up.

Cheers

Andrew B.

5. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

KeithH...

I admire a person that uses my favorite economics principle when discussing home theater! You are quite correct when looking at higher-end products, there's only so much to gain from paying $x more than certain products. Not to say they aren't worth it (hence Andrew's great example), but a smart consumer will always buy what has the greatest quality and value for their money.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian and Lee,

Thanks for the kind words. I agree with everything you both wrote.

Andrew,

I have never been a fan of Yamaha products for some reason, but the 'CX1 has me intrigued. Does it show the chroma bug? It's one the pricey side, but it seems to pack a lot punch.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Keith, I love the Costanza quote, it was a sad day when they stopped filming that show. I wish they'd stop being a$$holes and put it on DVD. I don't care how much a season woould cost, I would definately have a set!!!!

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

LaMarcus, I have every episode of Seinfeld on videotape, but I would buy the series on DVD in a heartbeat. For now, Jerry Seinfeld is cleaning up with the show in syndication, not that he needs the money anyway. I read a couple of years ago that when the contract is up with syndication on Fox, Seinfeld will move to syndication on TBS. Perhaps it will be on syndication on both. I don't recall. Anyway, Seinfeld is supposed to show up on TBS in the next couple of years. I read about this in TV Guide around the time that the last episode aired on NBC in '98.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Geez, 98'?, has it been that long? Whoa!! Have you heard andy mention of a dvd release?
    You have every episode on vhs? Man I would love a copy of that[​IMG]

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Sounds like Jerry really likes to be the master of his own domain...[​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,
    True, so true. [​IMG]
    LaMarcus,
    Yep, the last episode of Seinfeld aired in '98. I can't believe it either. However, with the show in syndication on Fox ever since (and actually long before it went off the air), it's like they never went off. Where I live, we get Seinfeld twice on Fox just about every night -- once at 7:30 p.m. and then at 11 p.m. [​IMG]
    I think it took me 23 videotapes on SLP mode to get every episode. I never had the patience to sit their and stop the tape to edit commercials, so they are all in there. With a couple minutes lead time before each episode, I would fit 11 episodes per six-hour tape. I do have some duplicates.
    Unfortunately, I have heard nothing about Seinfeld coming to DVD. [​IMG]

13. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

wow, '98.

guess I'm not the only one around here who has his own kaliedscope of memories indexed by music/movies/derby winners.

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I get Seinfeld at 7:30 and 11:30. And I am "King of the county"[​IMG]

15. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

"In fact, the difference in audio performance is often greater than the difference in video performance when comparing a $2000 player to a $500 player"
    Are we comparing the two players in analog performance here? I see many a review pointing out how great DVD-A, SACD or CD playback is excellent on XYZ player - but my main and perhaps only use I make of my current DVD player is for DVD movies, using the digital connection to my receiver. I couldn't care less about other formats.
    Is there *that* much difference between a 500$ and 2000$ player when used to watch movies with digital passthrought DTS/DD? I am looking for a DVD player replacement, and it always drives me nuts when a reviewer goes on at lengths on how it works wonderfully well for CD/SACD/DVD-A but doesn't say a word on how it sounds on normal DVD movies [​IMG] Which has always lead me to believe that for someone who keeps his audio and HT gear separate, there wasn't a need for those expensive players in the first place. BUT if you want a SACD/CD/DVD-A with DVD capabilities, then there might be an incentive to try those out.
    Comments appreciated, those are just my "impressions". If spending more would allow me greater sonics for movies, then I'll be more then happy to pay more.

16. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew,

Thanks for the comments. The 'CX1 seems like a great unit.

Eric,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to sound using the analog outputs for a comparison. I like to make comparisons between components using the analog outputs since it really gives me an idea of overall quality.

CD players can function very differently when used as transports. One should not assume that on a revealing system, two players will sound identical as transports. That is simply not the case. The same should hold true with DVD players. However, with DVDs, we are talking about lower-resolution compressed formats (Dolby Digital and DTS), so the difference in sound quality between transports there might not be as obvious.

18. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Eric you hit the nail directly on the head my friend. I listen to most of my cd's in the car anyway, so my dvd player with extrodinary cd sound means nothing to me. Give me a extrodinary picture, with good sound and I'm happy.
    Keith are you still master of your domain?