What's new

Is it wise to purchase an extended warranty on a TV? (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I am getting ready to purchase the Sony KV-36HS20. This is my first TV purchase in 5 years. Sears has a 5yr maintenance agreement on the TV for 400.00, so what do you pro's think?
Standard warranty is 1 year parts and labor, 2 years parts on the picture tube.

EugeneR

Second Unit
Personally, I've never had a problem with any of the TV's I've owned. It's a pretty good appliance. You have to remember that the reason everyone sells those extended warranties is that they are an extremely high-margin item, since no one ever uses them.
I actually have never bought an extended warranty for anything. I've never had a problem with any of my electronics, and if I ever do, I'll know that over the years, I've saved enough money on extended warranties to buy a new one of whatever it is that goes bad.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yes it is IMO. TV are much more fragile than audio stuff. Color patches and geometry problems on the big ones after a few weeks/months are not unheard of.
--
Holadem

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
But after a few weeks/months, it's still under the original warranty. Tubes quite often are 2 years under warranty.
The only thing I'd even consider one on is a large TV for in home service.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
I don't get the warranties either....BUT
I was unlucky recently...my 3 year old Sony was out of warranty and started screwing up...cost me almost $200.00 to have to fixed. That said, I still won't get the warranty for the next TV...that was my first TV problem
frown.gif

Sean

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
The Sears 5 yr warranty is for in-home service. I can't imagine lugging this 250lb TV to a service center.

My friend was offered a 4yr extended warranty when he was buying a Samsung TV which costs about $700
I think the extended warranty was like $300 or something
I told him not to get it
Thing is 1st year you are still under warranty
I hardly have any TV sets go bad on me and if after 2 yrs it really goes bad it's better off to get new set with the $300 extra
You can also upgrade on the way rather than staying with the probably outdated tv

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I paid $250 for a 5 year in-home warranty on a 50" RPTV that costs roughly $2500. That I felt was worth it, also I could get half back if I never used in 5 years. How much is the TV costing you? If the warranty is a significant percentage, then I'd say its not worth it. I knew if I had any significant repair on the RPTV it would cost over $250, and guess what, I had a repair to it after it was bit over 2 years old that would have cost over $500. But RPTVs are definitely more fragile than regular TVs.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Sears sells the 36" HS Wega for 2399.00 and my sales guy is pricematching it for 1810.00 + tax. The matching stand is 249.00.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
NO. If the store sells a good product you shouldn't need one. These stores train their emplotyees to try to sell these because they are the biggest money maker for them.
Buy a quality product and you should not have to worry about it. I have never bought one and never needed one even after 10 years on som of my products.
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Odds are good either it will break soon, or in a long time, its my understanding electronics typically fail on a bathtub type curve. That's like a bell curve, but flat for a long time in the center. The tube is the most expensive part, but its already covered for two years. So your extra warranty covers the tube for three years, and the rest for four, because for the first part its redundant. Considering that warranty costs roughly 22% of the price of a new one, and then you figure in depreciation, I'd say don't bother. However if you can get the warranty for 10% of the cost go for it, they may negotiate on that. That's my opinion.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Good answer Keith. Never thought about the percentages or Depreciation. Good reply
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"

Well I have worked at both Circuit City and Good Guys. Yes the warranty is the thing they make the most money on. That said I buy it on everything I get. Most places will come send out a technician to your house to fix any problems. This is a big thing if you live upstairs and don't want to move it. Also most places say that if they are called out 3 times they will replace it for free, no questions asked. How can you go wrong with that. Oh I no longer work for either of these companies, just my opinion.

Jeremy_H

Auditioning
YES !!!! YES, YES, YES!!!
I call these things not warranties but rather product upgrade program. I had a tv that i bought from the good guys once that cost a hefty $3000. Well, when i got it home i found out it was a peice of shit. it wasnt a broken piece of shit but rather the picture sucked and so did the sound. So, i call them out 2 times because the "audio keeps popping" Then, on my third time i call them for audio popping and now cutting out all the time. Well, they find nothing wrong but do replace it with a newer model of the same TV which i find out is a whole lot better then the previois model....Cheating? Stealing? i think not....
product upgrade program
------------------

Thomas_A

Second Unit
well... I Know that cc's warranty covers surge,lightning and even the remotes....Now ...when my house got hit by lightning... it was covered under my insurance..but if I had a diff warranty..I still could have gotten it fixed or new- due to allstate never picked up the damaged tv... It would have cost over 1500 to fix my mits 45" rptv.
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
For a $3000 TV, wouldn't a $228 3 year extended warranty for just a little more cash for ur peace of mind? I think it is worth it. One must remember that stuff with a 1 year warranty means the manufacturer has determined the product has been "studied" to have failure rates higher than usual after the first year, hence, the duration of the warranty.
For anything under $1000, I think the idea though is not applicable. Things won't cost more than $200 to fix and if higher, then replacing it would be more prudent.
Oh and BTW, the extended warranty I got, they "refund" half of it if u never use it after the warranty period. Now can u beat that?
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks